MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Stuck in

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Riverrat 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

This is round two for us being stuck in because of snow, I live in the mountains of far west Texas (yes Texas has mountains lol), we typically get snow once or twice a year and it tends to be an inch or two and tends to melt or evaporate quickly, this time it has turned our unpaved, up and down roads into a slimy, mucky muddy mess, especially on the hills. We got a foot of snow the first round last week, and another 4 inches yesterday.

I’m not writing to complain, I love living here, we know that there are going to be times where we will be stuck in until either the weather or the roads clear. Fortunately we were fairly well stocked up on supplies, food, fuel, wood, the 3 C’s (coffee, creamer and cigarettes for hubby).

A few days ago I tried to get out and was stymied by the first big hill near my place, the snow had melted off OK but the road was a slick mucky mushy muddy mess, I didn’t get a quarter of the way up, I smooshed my way back down the hill and squished my way back to my driveway. Yesterday we got another round of snow, ice and rain, so it will be another 3-4 days before the roads dry out enough to make it up the hills. I just read an email from a friend who lives a couple of miles from me, she has a major hill by her place, it’s the only way in and out of the neighborhood, she said no one has come or gone since yesterday and that the roads are in pretty bad shape for driving purposes….

Oh well, that means I’ve had lots of internet time :) How has everyone else been doing in the cold?

Wretha

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Here are some pictures, the first snow had mostly melted off before the second one started, but it hadn’t dried up a bit:

Riverrat
    Participant

We’re sitting solidly in the 60s for the last couple days, and supposed to hit 70s tomorrow.  It’s been breezy and rainy through most of it, but everything is going smoothly.  The plan was to get out to our farm house and put a major press on getting as much done during these pleasant temps to hammer as much out on the house as possible.  But our babysitter is possibly down with the flu, so we might be seriously slowed.

We’re dealing with wet.  But the colds supposed to be moving in earlier next week.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I think I’m going to get out today, been dealing with a bit of cabin fever… the snow has mostly melted off and the wind picked up yesterday and blew all night long, I’m hoping that went a long way toward drying out our roads.

Riverrat, we are in the 50s today, will probably get up to the 60s if the sun comes out at all, been partly cloudy most of the day.

Wretha

centralpafarm
    Participant

Snow is great for everybody. Especially if it melts slowly. Then it will fill in the underground water systems and give you water in the spring etc .. We have some nice snow too in central pa and its just beginning to melt and today we just started getting some slight rain. The freezing temps before opened up cracks to the aquifers and the snow melting into them and some of the light rain speeding that up will make for a lovely spring and summer with lots of water.

Jay
    Participant

Wow Wretha that looks amazing. I wish you the best of luck getting out and hope the roads have dried up. Whenever we had storms/power outages growing (which was frequent enough due to our remote area) my mother would start to mend all the clothes we had torn, I would gather/split wood for the fire that evening and my sisters would play board games or learn how to crochet. My dad was always working as he works for a major phone provider so he was out long hours during those times but when he was there we all played board games/cards.

It was nice.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I did get out today, went to town with a friend and picked up a few things, but mostly just got out and about. It’s funny though, as we were coming back into the neighborhood, my friend and I both said we were glad to be back home, she lives a couple of miles farther in than I do.

Wretha

Nightowl
    Participant

Here in West Central Alabama it seems to have been raining for the past 3 weeks. IT was warm last week but has droppped into the upper 30’s the last couple of days. Makes it tough taking care of my animals but we have a gravel drive so we do not get stuck. But my pastures have turned into mud so thats no fun… In a few months we will be praying for it to rain…..lol

Riverrat
    Participant

Hey NightOwl, I live in Guntersville, North East Alabama.

Nightowl
    Participant

Hey Riverrat, IT has finally started to dry up and there is a funny looking yellow ball in the sky…lol

Riverrat
    Participant

Someone has notified me that it’s called the sun.  I had forgotten what that was.  6 days of rain apparently has a strange effect on folks lol.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.