MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Square One: Brand New to the Scene

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ValPal 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant

Hey all!  My name is James and I’ve been dreaming of living off the grid for years and am finally in a position to start planning for the jump!  I wanted to throw a line out there to all of you, I’ve been trying to get some basic information together, but frankly, the amount of stuff I don’t know has become quite daunting, I just don’t know where to begin.  I’m very attracted to the idea of a tiny house and would want to join a community with a focus on self sustainability not only as individuals, but as a community.  Locations I’ve considered include California, Arizona and Colorado, but I’m very open to other settlements and communities, mostly in terms of location, I just need a change of pace (I’ve lived in North Western New Jersey most of my life).  Mostly, I’m interested in hearing about your experiences and the problems you encountered, as well as some pointers in regards to attaining a truly synergistic, self-sustainable lifestyle in such a community.  Thanks you all for your help and your time!

ValPal
    Participant

Hey James check out my post in the landbuddy section, you are not to far from me.

There are many ways to go about, I would say. You can travel to an off the grid community and spend some time there, you can help a person that is off the grid already or you can get together with someone who also would like to go OTG. Which ever way you do it doesn’t really matter as long as you do it. The best way I would think is to get some experience from someone that is doing it on a everyday basis. 2 reasons why: 1 you’ll come to a decision at the end of the trip if this is really what you want to do and 2 you gain knowledge and skill about the lifestyle. So if you are in a position to travel without anything holding you back, go for it go get your hands dirty!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.