MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion soon to be Discharged

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

basserben
    Participant

I am a 12 year Coast Guard vet about to be discharged. I am a single parent of 3 kids and i can not deploy so i’m get’n out. I own 10 acres of land and i would like to build a small temperary “camp” for the kids and i untill i can find a job. I was thinking about getting a prebuilt shed and converting it but those things aint cheap and I will only have about $10,000. I want to go as off grid as possible. I already have a composting toilet out on the land and i realy dont want to install a septic system. Does a washer, tub and sink have to discharge into a septic system? Anyway……thats latter. I need ideals on a small, cheap home that can be built by 2 in 3 months max. Thanks all. Ben

elnav

If local regulations allow it you could maybe get one or two shipping containers. There are now several companies that specialize in designing homes using these as building modules. but it is also good for DIY.

Around here they are popular as hunting camp housing because you can close them up as a virtually bullet proof cabin. At minimum the door end gets door and window installed but recessed inside the outer steel door. A cousin uses one for a shop and garage for a sports car. Several of the local mills use them as improved and cheaper replacements for a ATCO office building at scales and wood lot gate keepers. Around here you can buy a 40′ for $2500 each. To install additional windows and doors all you need is a good power saw with metal cutting blade.

Plenty of ideas on the internet. My first Google search yielded in excess of 400,000 hits including plenty of pictures. This Old House (Bob Vila)did a show featuring how containers can be used for housing.

basserben
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I have looked into the container ideal and really like it. I have 3 kids and one is a girl so i need to make a 3 bedroom. I figure i could do this with 3 20′ containers or 2 40′. I’m haveing a big problem finding somewhere near by that sales them. And if i can afford to have them delivered, they will have to be moved into place once they are dropped. I dont own a tractor or anything that could move them.

elnav

Moving these by hand is not a problem if you use a come-along or for more power a hydraulic power Pac( hand pumped). Thinks, levers, rollers and pulleys. At a previous home I had to move a 10 X 16 shop building filled with tools and work benches. I used a 1 ton come along to move it 30 feet. I laid down planks as skids. Other people I know have used 8,000 lb winches on the front of their 4X4 trucks.

Generally speaking if the delivery truck can get in there he will endeavour to drop the container close to or right on where you want it. When we moved we rented one and had it delivered two weeks before moving day. We packed our stuff inside and they picked it up and loaded it on a transport truck with a flat deck. Levelling it only requires a hand jack or two, plus some blocking you can make yourself out of wood. Almost any major port I know of has at least one company selling or renting surplus containers. Right now I am 500 miles from a seaport but there are two local companies selling or renting containers.

There is such a glut on the market companies are scrambling to get rid of containes as long as they get more than scrap metal value for them. Not to mention which more people are discovering how great they are for ready made storage units. Big blue is the company we dealt with and they actually refurbish some units (repair welds hinges etc.) and give them a fresh coat of blue paint instead of the original shipping company color.

basserben
    Participant

any ideal how much it cost to ship a 40′ container. I found some 45′ high cube (taller) containers for 1,750.00.

elnav

Basserben how long is a piece of string? Your question cannot be answered without more information. I suggest you look up companies in the vicinity of where your land is located. Then they will know the distance involved. Shipping costs also factor in fuel burn and that is regionally dependent. Locally fuel here is now $5.44 / gallon but down on the coast it is cheaper.

Cost will also be dependent on whether or not the company has its own truck with a crane or rely on contracting a third party shipping company.

basserben
    Participant

Lol sorry about that. I got a call today from a container salesman and they wanted $3,000 per 40′ container and $560 for deliver. I thought that was a little high considering i’m finding them online for half that.

elnav

Not knowing where you are I can’t tell if he has the market cornered; or if he is simply trying it on for size. Using competetive quotes from online, try a counter offer and see what he says. When we moved from the Vancouver area we paid $135 for a month’s rental and arranged to drop off the container at their depot some 50 miles from where we ended up. A friend with a flat deck trailer and semi did the actual hauling 600 miles so we only paid fuel and his dispatcher arranged for a back haul load to get him back home.The rental fee included delivery to our home and pick up to load on our friend’s truck.

The Brother in law did a rent to purchase and again the delivery fee was included. But this was a short hop from depot to his house. In round numbers you may have to figure $2 per ton mile and a limit on distance travelled unless you pay extra. Fuel premiums have played hobs with pricing this past year. The good news is even inland places with intermodal rail yards are likely to have surplus containers and thus a sales outlet.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.