MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion So who all went off grid so far?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jdc 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

lisaA
    Participant

It is my dream, but not a reality as of this point. Slowing buying things to help out if i actuality make it out in the woods! Buying and finding land is a very hard part. It’s very hard to find 2 to 5 acres for sale in Wisconsin ( or Upper Michigan) where i am interested in going.   Only because i have never been anywhere else. My husband says i am nuts, that i am too old, ( just turned 45) so i actually think i am in my prime right now!   For those that actually did go I have a few questions :  What is the best battery to buy to hook up to my solar panels?  i see so many different options but not real sure what one to pick. I guess we need to know what i will be powering. and that i really don’t know- I’m going to be the crazy lady in the woods with a bunch of stuff and have no idea what to do with it or what i want to do with it! ( lol)  What do off griders do for refrigerators? do you guys just build root cellars? i have so many questions that i feel i am overwhelmed.     keeping this post alive to sort out my thoughts- any one have any ideas or suggestions just post away!     I read another post earlier that asked” is living off grid just a dream?” and they suggested to camp for a week and see what its like- i think this is very good idea. Tv makes it looks wonderful ( not easy)

lisaA
    Participant

The other hard part, and probably the main reason ( beside hubby) as to why i am not off the grid yet, is i have a house i need to sell first! and with the economy the way it is, i don’t see it happening soon.

Pricega75
    Participant

Jdc
    Participant

Left the city 12 years ago.  No skills.  Little money.  I was 56.  Recommend leaving before then.  It wass hard but its done now and it is heaven.  You need $1500 a month after house and land done.  $2500 and you live high off the hog.  Hint: you do not need to buy land.  Or rent.  But I did.  Probably would not again.  Read books about modern couples going feral.  Amazon.  Kindle.  Then go!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.