MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Single women living off grid

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 70 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Belle 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Sylvia
    Participant

I live totally off grid in southeast oklahoma. I have solar power, wood heat, a well for water, propane fridge and water heater. I am a widow trying to make it on my own. I would like to hear from other single women in my situation. Also, if anyone has or knows of any blogs please let me know. It would be nice to share experiences.

westernrider
    Participant

I am a single woman, my three kids are now older and the two oldest are moving out and on with their lives. My son (17) and I presently live in a 3000 sq ft house (ridiculous) He wants to help me and together build an earthen house and live off the grid. I have shown him the cob style houses and hobbit houses and we have decided on a plan. We are in Canada….and trying to get past the bullsh*t rules and regulations is going to be a challenge!!  I don’t want to pay the extreme hydro (electricity) bills but they tell me “by law” even if I don’t use it I have to run it to the house and wire my place for it!!! WTH! Trying to simplify my life….reduce my debt load, live to live!! not work to live! I was thinking that wind turbines might be better than the solar panels….but am not sure. I have lived off the grid before when I was younger and I presently heat only with wood. Any advice would be great!

Do you find it hard on your own? Are you on a farm? or rural area?  what kinda house do you live in? Sorry…if I’m being too noisy! :/

Sylvia
    Participant

I have a 800 square foot home on 2 acres adjoining national forest. I have eight 80 watt solar panels and eight L16 batteries. I have a 5000 watt propane generator that I only use in the summer when I want to run air conditioner. At this time I dont have any animals. I have a very large garden and can alot. I cook with propane and have a wood cookstove set up in the barn that I use alot in the winter. Since my husbands unexpected death 6 months ago I’ve been on my own. Yes its been difficult at times keeping it all going. So far I haven’t had anything I couldn’t handle.

Trm
    Participant

western rider I too have dealt with the bull here in Canada so when I go off grid I’ll be buying land in an unincorperated township – no building permits no inspectors or engineered stamped drawings at $1,500 to $2,000 a pop. If you have to resort to using an engineer question everthing. I’ve seen an building inspector question the exsess engineering and the answer as to why it was done this way – “your wife put it on the drawings!”  I figure the over engineering cost the home builder an extra $10,000 on top of the $1,700 he paid for the stamped drawings.

northern person
    Participant

Im building off grid in Canada. Were in the northwest territories. We can lease land for a small yearly tax. Ive built a large cabin and there is no such thing as building codes. As long as you keep things enviromentally sound your left alone.  Winter is long and cold but if your prepared its not a big deal. There is work nearby and you could sell wood in fall and winter and vegetables all summer long. There is wild game also. Its easy living

westernrider
    Participant

That’s great Trm where do you find unincorperated townships??  Also northern person, congrads on finding such a life! I’m impressed! And I like hearing that not everyone is having the difficulties I am! But I’m not giving up…there has to be a loop hole some where that I can live in the home I choose with out everyones nose in my business. Just wanting a simpler life ….like our parents and grand-parents had.

offthegridinok
    Participant

Sylvia,

Good to see you posting here in this forum also.  there are some good people here.   Just wanted to update you.  We should have full electricity next time we make it back to our home.   Carrying in this truck the rest of our solar system.   Boy finally getting it all took a big load off our shoulders, now to install it all.    Glad to see your doing well.   We updated our little blog and you tube if you want to see what we got.

Take care, Semi close neighbor.

leahh
    Participant

Wow, I didnt see this topic before. Im a single mom and I want to go off grid too but i want to not do it all myself. I want to have some single lady friends that can be my neighbors and perhaps we can help each other.

westernrider
    Participant

Great idea Leahh…..where are you? Hard to find someone with the same interest let alone some one who doesn’t think you absolutely Froot Loops for wanting to live like this.

Sylvia
    Participant

I believe that if you want something bad enough and are willing to put in the effort you can succeed. I consider myself just an ordinary person and so far I’m making it on my own. You need to understand what skills you already have, and figure out
    what skills you need to learn. My children are grown and living on their own. I know that if I still had young children at home living as I do would be more challenging.

leahh
    Participant

Im in California near Los Angeles. Sorry for the late reply.

rbonuc29
    Participant

what i think is that this is an autonomous movement more than it is an energy movement. Really its people who dont agree with the way things are going and what autonomy. The rest of this stuff is just the mediums. thats why i think that the off grid people should ask the go for a few 1000 acres somewhere in the north west. where people like us can live.

grace71
    Participant

posted somewhere else on this site about this same topic, asking for stories about others building their off grid/self sufficent home solo.  i am a single parent of young adults that has always dreamed of getting away from our current system of money driven insanity.  i want to be as self sufficient as possible and will be doing it alone.  i have started seriously researching the land choices, energy, water, etc.  would like to hear from others who have done this without a partner.  thanks

beast
    Participant

very nice seeing women trying to live the simple life, i gave up looking for ladies like you years ago…lol

now i just argue with the wife and do as i please anyway…lol

maybe one of these days ill hook up with a simple living lady and start over

Cahow
    Participant

beast: Don’t let your wife read your comment! (LOL) She may decide to “trade up” to a young buck, too! ~snort~

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.