MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion SINGLE WOMAN WANTS TO LIVE OFFGRID

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sas 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Gwenie
    Participant

Hi; this post is directed to Leah and other single women who are looking to live off grid. I currently live in central VA and would like to find a group of people who are Christians looking to buy a large tract of land that we could homestead together.  I have not been successful so far.   Anyone interested/have any ideas?

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Yes, but we are not in localality, I have similar ideals, exept, try this proposal…  I plan to get some land in new zealand, i live there, and I feel I must try this idea out”: To set up a home where, powered by water wheel electricity completely, there are no power bills, a permaculture food forest in back yard,.. one the size of which allows a large diversity forest of complete nutritional needs,, and big enough also to trade your stock for items suh as coffee, wine, meat, etc.. ,, A permaculture food forest is a rather unjustifiably underrated method, it produces yeilds at the cost of low maintenance once established. Essentially, the plants are ordered in the way nature places them in a natural environment, plants compliment each other, and a large, wild forest pregnant with life is result! Exept its a food forest! what do you think?

Gwenie
    Participant

Wow, that sounds surreal! and astonishing! I would love love to be part of a community of homesteaders interested in promoting this concept and other self sufficient ideas.  You currently live in New Zealand? Wow, must be such a beautiful beautiful place – how lucky you are! I live in central Virginia – New Zealand is a world away from me. I would love so much to be able to do just what you stated above, but don’t know where or how to start – any ideas? How much land are you planning to purchase? I had the idea of a group of Christians buying a large tract of land, dividing it up and working it just like the idea you have! Please respond and thanks! by the way, my name is Gwen

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

:o ok. According to this picture

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

You need around an acre to have enough room to feed a family of four for a year with traditional gardening, and that number could be made smaller and still work,.. Especially with permaculture I think, everything is more wild and closer together, placed in a way that is beneficial to the whole system of plants,.. so with that figure in mind and including space to trade a portion of the yield from the forest for things like milk and butter, bread,.. I am guessing 2 acres would be an ideal amount of land to own with a small group of people,… This land will need A strong stream though that can be dammed and set up to have the water running off strong onto a water wheel, and then perhaps having another wheel downstream doing the same thing c: And having in mind there will be a large, beautiful and diverse forest of food there it will need…

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

A good climate, appropriate terrain… An acre of land goes for around $50,000 – $70,000 nz dollars i think. 50,000 split between four people that is twelve and a half thousand each to purchase the land! that is nothing like what I thought it would be! I had in mind it would be like 50,000 each or something impossible… Ill need to buy a special peice of land,.. It will need a strong stream running through it, and also the ability to have it running off something onto the top of a water wheel, then again downstream, then again, then again, then again? :P and then have the power company hook up to you and pay you for your exess… :D (not needed)

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

So , I will need to save atleast 20,000. working fulltime and saving 200 dollars a week I will have 20,000 in two years. .. I can begin my dream in two years??!?!?! omg! I had in mind 10 years! oh, i see, i had my perspectives set at what it would take to do it alone :3,, silly me

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

I give myself four years of saving maximum… 200 dollars a week. = 41600 . Cuz I gotta buy seeds! and nails1!

I have seen two acres going for $65,000, and that is not uncommon. perhaps some more research is in order…

Split between four people, … this goal is totally reachable… :D   *looks into the distance with fervour*

faithwalkingmom
    Participant

I was wondering why is it harder for single women to live off the grid then a family or single men?  I am having a awful times getting help/good advice about subjects of off the grid living or topics that relate to it.  I just want to scream.   You think these things are military secrets or something.  I don’t want people to do for me just show me how to.  I am a see it done learner if that makes sense.  If I see it done then I can do it but reading about it is and then doing is harder for me to do.  Finding that kind of person to teach in the manner is hard and I think even harder for a single woman.  Ok I am done venting.

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Yes! totally agree with you. When I set this up ill put up a video of how i did it and every step as to how you can do it aswell? Man, I’m exited.

Skrew all else, with this kind of set up, you will be the free mountain man living how human beings should   c: if the machine is built well, it WILL last. Gotta have a good spot! And team support. And 4 – 5 years of extra supercharged saving. It will be worth it!! c:

mechanicdaniel
    Participant

Hello new here, Im not single woman though, I really like your idea, I had the same idea but yours got my ball rolling of like minded people getting together, with everyone helping and teaching each other to live off grid, growing our own food and raising some livestock, its hard to do alone, but its being done, inspired by sylvia’s post from 2013 living off grid doing it on her own after husband passed away, my condolences to Sylvia and her family. Im researching and looking to buy 30 to 60 acres in the south eastern part of the U.S. where theres plenty of water, at this time anyway lol. The way the economy is right now its hard for people to transition over to off grid and living off the land, tools and equipment needed for building, farming and maintaining equipment, even just buying land is hard enough then building is another story you might have enough for one but not the other, I am going to buy land regardless, anyone thats interested and I mean anyone, young, old, single, married, families that believe in humanity and respecting nature, that want to be part of a small community that helps protects each other, contact me, I am a mechanic, welder, plumber, electrician and carpenter, I will share/teach anyone anything I know and i’m always open to learning new things. Dan

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Cheers, indeed we are capable of creating very beautiful things with our own freedom to paint the canvas… Ofcourse it would seem I am at the bottom the mountain… Its peak only scarcely appearing behind parted clouds. I see people digging into the mountain at our side, hoping to find peace of mind yet this is what needs to happen. We must keep climbing with the breaths of this lifetime for then our future ancestors will lift off the peak and roam the stars. We need to band together with a set up that will require some vast planning behind its simple appearance. I have my goal. It is set. I must save over the hills of time to pave my way upto this mountain’s peak if I am to truely survive. Lucky for me, I needednt much climbing actually., most of the work will be when I get there, building from the foundations of its potentiality! 2000 days is its max. 1000 is my minimum. Of course, having two days off for every five. Putting away 200 dollers per week within 3 years I will have 40,000 and if it was 6 i could get 100,000. However, So I have worked, 1000 days (40,000 dollers @ 200 per week) of savings is enough for me with room for food while the gardens are being crafted. That is: 12-20k for half an acre each (this land will have to be special and inclusive of a dammable mountain stream of permanent nature, around half an acre each being quarter for food,quarter for trade/barter, C: I plan to sell tobacco, in a free world, we could also trade marijuana for milk, steak, luxuries we cannot attain through our hopefully vast forest of diversity!?) 5000 for clumps of charging deep cycle marine batteries that should be able to cycle enough electricity between four, 500 for materials to build enough water wheels for them to be plenty for four (this price can be lowered), perhaps 1000 per person for two or maybie three permanent magnet alternators per person ( this generates the electricity at each wheel) 12-20k for a house for yourself depending how good you want to make it, 15k is plenty for a what they call a mini house for one or two; 5000 for food perhaps while setting up your garden/forest, and 600 perhaps to begin with for the gardens?  Hmm so we are looking at a total cost per person of around *drum solo*perhaps, perchance

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

15,000 + 1250 + 125 + 1000 + 15,000 + 5000 + 600 = 37975

hopefully half an acre + deep cycle marine batteries + water wheels materials + permanent magnet alternators + money to build and wire a room and a kitchens worth of a house + 5000 for food whilst establishing some forest garden + money for seeds = 37975

Will need money for seed raising mix, some compost to begin with, perhaps some tools ! :s You get my picture :D?perhaps, perchance complex

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

oh my god, i am so gonna make pancakes with maple syrup when im done ^u^

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

tea, homemade cigarettes ^u^

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.