MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion shelter in the wild

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cahow 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

beast
    Participant

so youre out in BFE and need a shelter, everybodys first thought is log cabin
    but what if there are no suitable logs or trees! what ya gonna do now?
    so lets hear from you people what you know about building a shelter
    without logs!

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Are you talking about a permanent structure to live in or something go get you through the night or a few days?

For an emergency shelter, a tarp works great…

Wretha

beast
    Participant

something you could survive a year or 2 in if you had to do so
    for just overnight i just climb a tree …lol

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I like the bermed earth or underground homes, I have been particularly interested in “The Fifty Dollar and Up Underground House”…

There are some good ideas in this book.

Wretha

beast
    Participant

i live in what is basically a bermed home
    after 3 floods, i will never do so again
    not to mention the constant problem of humidity and
    everything i own being damp

dont have or need an a/c unit but it really sux when its
    80 plus degrees outside and you have to build a fire to take
    the chill and damp out, believe me

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I wonder how it would be different in the desert with low humidity and less rain?

beast
    Participant

there is moisture in the desert, lots if you know where to look
    anytime you go below ground the dampness shows up

caverdude
    Participant

there are dehumidifiers.. from what I understand from one underground house book it require 1/2 the electricity needed for dehumidification vs a/c. As a matter of fact an A/C unis is a dehumidifier. And some by Eco Blue produce pure drinking water.  If you had too much moisture its because you didn’t waterproof the walls right or because you were not dehumidifying.

http://blog.larrydgray.net

beast
    Participant

dehumidifiers require external heat to operate
    my basement home stays around 60f in the summer, every dehumidifier ive tried ices up
    thats why i said id have to run the fire in the summer
    if i run the fire i dont need the dehumidifier and ill be damned if i want to
    make my cool place hot in the summer

caverdude
    Participant

Well that is the first time I’ve heard about dehumidifiers icing up and I have not tried them so maybe so. Is it possible you were not using the right brand of dehumidifier? I’m no expert on them so. And there are passive ways to dehumidify, as in rock salt. There must be some answer for the humidity problem.

Cahow
    Participant

This is a tongue-in-cheek reply, beast. First, if I were in BFE, I had to get there somehow. I mean, it’s not like I was air-dropped into NoWhere’sVille. So, I’d hike right back to the sturdy vehicle that I arrived in and take shelter there! You didn’t state HOW LONG you’d need a shelter but people have survived in vehicles for weeks or a month when they’ve slid into ravines. A vehicle is water-proof, cozy, has a soft place to lie down and if you’re prepared (as you well should be if you’re traveling to BFE) you should have plenty of water, dehydrated foods and a blanket or two.

So there’s my answer. ;)

wirerat123
    Participant

Properly configured and with proper ventilation underground houses can be just fine and dry. Most stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I would go underground with the PSP method myself. It passes the common sense test for all housing options.

If there are no trees available, then you just gotta build with rock, dirt, or find a cave or something similar. I would still go underground.

ladyapril
    Participant

use stones to build–

beast
    Participant

yes stones work but how do you hold them together?

caverdude
    Participant

look into slip form concrete or rock work. This is where you build something like a concrete form, drop in rocks, pour cement around them and slip the form upwards as you go.

http://blog.larrydgray.net

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.