MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Seasteading Project Happening in Atlantic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ghjhjkr 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

caveman76
    Participant

Hi guys.
    I’m casting a documentary about Seasteading and we’re looking for people who are interested in actually trying to create a colony in the middle of the ocean. We have a location secured 35 miles off the coast in the Atlantic Ocean, but there’s a lot of work to be done to make it a viable place to live long term.

This is NOT  a ridiculous “social experiment” like Utopia. Our focus is on the nuts and bolts of trying to create a self sustaining colony, focusing on the challenges of construction, generating power, growing food through aquaculture, etc. We’re mostly looking for people with valuable skills and/or ideas that will be necessary for launching the colony, but if this is something you’re passionate about, we’d like to hear from you even if you’re not sure how valuable your contribution would be.Is this something you would be interested in or would you know anyone that would?

If you’re interested, please email me at cannonballcasting@gmail.com

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hey Caveman76, how is your project coming along? Sorry for the late reply, been a bit out of pocket lately :)

I sincerely wish you all the luck in the world on your venture….

Wretha

jengr
    Participant

Are you referring to living on boats?  I’m not a candidate, just curious :)

CadeJ
    Participant

I cruised around on a sailboat for a decade, so I would just like to say “the sea is a harsh mistress”. A floating hulk like an old tanker or freighter would be a good starting point but anything smaller would not be very comfortable, IMHO. With a big hulk you would have some acreage for solar and some mass to reduce wave motion and some living space. Of course you might even inherit some infrastructure plumbing and wiring but those are higher value items that could have been stripped. You would have to invest in some pretty reliable pumps and spares to keep the sea out – she will find every weakness. Scantlings on older ships are usually more in your favor – a harbor pilot once told me they don’t use any more steel to make a Panamax container ship than they did to build a WWII liberty ship!

ghjhjkr
    Participant

What a great idea, a fun and challenging life adventure. just not for me, I need solid ground to run on and explore. seems like CadeJ suggestion of a freighter would be a good idea. Also there could be intermediate steps towards the larger goal; 4 – 6 people with the same goal on a barge in port somewhere, for example. although probably not as exciting for a documentary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.