MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion salvage reuse scavenge trade

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  desert deb 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

desert deb
    Participant

I read another story on brad kittel today and it centered around building with salvsge materials. I like this idea, i dont know if i could live in tiny house like some that he builds but i do admire the choice of materials he uses. I have been in this rv for nearly a year and a half, cant wait go move to the mobile home. The rv looks like the back room in a furniture store because im making multible trips to haul things daily everything that goes is stacked on all the furniture. Some friends went salvaging in tucson today. There are several places there and phoenix too. Im sure most states have them if you know what to look for. Building salvage is a good place to start. Even antique stores sometimes share info about where to find specific items. Im an antiquer from way back. I bought my first piece an antique curved glass secretary when i was sixteen. It has survived the kids and grandkids. I know some of these places are online now, but if you need matetials and money is tight its a great place to start assembling materials from. Anybody out there with salvage wisdom they would like to shsre? Or just tell us what you have done with some of the salvage you have acquired. Today i built most of a chicken coop with left over materials from a friends house build. It was fun.

elnav

Some jurisditions have rules about safety. They require that you use sound structurally strong lumber for strenght in a house frame. However, windows and doors are not considered structural strenght members so its fine to reuse such things from a building demolition yard.

The yard I was near also picked up surplus stock of new insulation, wiring and salvaged electric and plumbing fitting etc. they bought at auction or inventory clearances.

Barn cladding made wonderful weathered facings for the walls, deck surfaces and what have you. Anything that was not strictly structural for the house was fine by the building code inspector. Most of my windows were salvage as were the doors and stairs.

Sylvia
    Participant

Another great resource is someone who deals in scrap/junk metal. We have a great friend who mostly salvages junk cars, but along with that has people who bring him all sorts of metal. We have bought, traded, or been given all the metal framework for our solar panels, the 6 ft. high fence around our garden (necessary cause we live in national forest -deer), and various pieces of metal for different projects. Also the axle for a tow trailer we built. We save all our aluminum for him and have given him a junk vehicle and odds and ends of scrap iron. Works out for each of us.

gordo
    Participant

my home is 80% recycled. most of my materials came from habitat for humanity. also paying attention to local offerings. this fall i picked up 40 3×4 windows with screens from a hotel remodel.(lots of green house) my solar gear is from 1984. i picked up 2 500watt arrays installed on zomeworks trackers with two other trackers for 1000 bucks :).. my hardy board siding 50 4×8 panels 10 bucks each,5/8 sheer osb 40 sheet 1 buck each, 3000 square feet nor clad metal roofing 400 bucks plenty for future building.

anyway… materials are out there. i have so much stock piled that i had to build shelter for the materials i now have homestead depot.

our local radio station has a show each morning 930 to 950 called trash n treasure. its a calling style classifieds. they also have an online version similar to craigslist. this is something that can be started if a local radio station would participate. you can listen on line . kmtn the mountain 96.9 fm. i think the internet is the mountain radio get a good idea. swinging buy large contraction projects works to. most large companies have crunched the numbers and determined that extra materials cost more to move and store then give away(my sheer/siding/rebar)

gordo

desert deb
    Participant

These are great ideas. Where i am we have some left over things that will soon be heading to the dump. I had a friend come out and we loaded a truck and trailer with stuff they thought they could use. Today i helped that family built chicken and a turkey coop from that material. It was great fun. We decided they were usable, maybe not pretty but colorful and usable. Sounds like acouple of you have a great hand finding usable materials. Wish i could look more but i drive an aveo they dont hold much but i have been known to bring home a kitchen cabinet in it, where theres a will you can find a way.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.