MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Food Rabbit farm

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  somanyanimals 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

metroidhntr
    Participant

So I had an idea strike me while I was at work.  I get a lot of time to think on this job lol.  So I was thinking as another idea for a food source was a rabbit farm.  When I started researching it, it seems pretty easy and straight forward.  This would give me a good source of lean meat all while giving me some hides to sell ( I know someone that would pay a decent price a stack of hides since he deals in leather).  From what I was reading too is that I can use some of the entrails for a good supplement to dog food too and what ever is left can be composted.  Is there anybody on the forum that has had or still does have a rabbit farm.  Is there anything I should be careful of?  How many rabbits do you think should be sufficent to start off with. ( I eat a lot of food 3k calories + a day).

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

metroidhntr
    Participant

Thanks. Lots of helpful information.  Seems like will be the easiest  and least expensive source of good lean meat.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I have considered doing this too, though it’s one of those “off in the distance” things…

metroidhntr
    Participant

Yeah it seems simple enough.  There is a family right off the main road to get to my property that grows alfalfa.  I think he raises cattle too.  So I might be able to bargain with him for a 1 or 2 bale’s of hay which would would last rabbits quite a long time.

somanyanimals
    Participant

they breed like rabbits ;) and rabbit poo is good for you garden , I want to get some as soon as I am off full time. Craigslist can get you a bunch of cheep/free rabbits every day of the week.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.