MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Perpetrator or Victim

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dustoffer 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

wavy1953
    Participant

Will you be a survivor or a casualty? Not of starvation, or exposure, but of violence.
    This topic discusses the manner to avoid and defend against violence.
    With no medical care available in an off grid community or alone, an injury could be a death sentence.
    situations require specific actions to survive. What are your actions?

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Thanks wavy1953, your observations are something we all have to consider, your first point about protection, I think most off gridders with any common sense at all are not going to discuss their methods of self protection (ie weapons), I know that I will not, I have seen too many people bragging online about their arsenal, that is a good way to lose all you have to thieves, whether they be of the civilian persuasion or the official (governmental-we are here to help) persuasion. It is good to discuss in general, stating that you NEED a way to protect yourself, but it’s not good to discuss specifics of what each of us has or does not have IMHO. I sincerely hope all who read this are armed up the wazoo and are willing to do whatever it takes to protect themselves, their family and property from whatever threat may come down the pike.

To your second observation, health, it’s is of utmost importance to be able to take care of as many different health scenarios as possible, most of us are not trained medical professionals, but you can learn as much as you can and have as many supplies as possible to take care of what may come. Fortunately for me, I live in a small (tiny) community who pulls together in thick and thin, we have several trained medical professionals living out here, we are somewhat isolated from the surrounding towns by mountains as well as many rough miles.

About a week and a half ago, PB developed an infection, a pretty severe one in a hard to treat place (inside his body instead of on the outside), we took care of it without having to go to the doctor because we had what we needed to take care of it, we are still treating it but it’s nearly healed. This infection put him down hard, it’s the worst medical problem we have dealt with since moving off grid and really tested our resolve to be as self reliant as possible.

Those are my personal thoughts about that, what does everyone else think?

Thanks wavy1953, I look forward to seeing more of your thoughts here :)
    Wretha

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I moved this to the general discussion forum.

wavy1953
    Participant

I agree wretha, the first rule of off grid, is never talk about what you have off grid.
    My focus is to discuss Ideas on defense. How one pursues their own plan is their business and their business alone.

CadeJ
    Participant

I agree that it is not wise to get into individual specifics, but I think some general concepts are probably universal. When protecting one’s property it is beneficial to conceal, deter, and only defend as a last resort. People will not steal what they don’t know is there. If they know or suspect there is something of value to steal, they will steal it from the easiest place they can find it. Putting oneself in harm’s way to be that deterrent means you have not been creative enough at concealing and other deterrence – it is a last-ditch effort, so to speak.

I live in a third world country and although I don’t have much by US standards, I have a lot by local standards. I keep the storage shed blacked out so curious eyes cannot see what is inside, and likewise minimize the opportunities for strangers to visit the property in general. I build a lot of fences and put bars on windows and doors (it happens to be very stylish here for some reason!). Guard dogs are certainly not infallable, but they are a useful additional deterrent. Geese and Guinea hens are also good “guard dogs”.

The question of whether to kill over possessions is somewhat personal I think. Some will advocate firearms for that last-ditch defense, but for me it is not an agreeable solution. There are various non-lethal solutions that are common among sailors (who are sometimes in places where firearms are prohibited at penalty of boat confiscation). Among these are long-range wasp and hornet sprays, oven cleaner spray, electric shock devices like tazers or electric fences (home made versions are potentially enjoyable hobby outlets too!), spray jugs with acid or other nasty chemicals, and even various spears and blades. We have some of this sort of stuff around for backup but it has been of little avail. Thieves who have been able to bypass the deterrents and barriers people erect are often quite determined and last-ditch defense is, in my opinion, a losing game for most people. Better to get out of the way and salvage things later than stand your ground and die. That is a bitter pill, but LIFE IS SWEET! hang onto it.

Scott
    Participant

Everyone has to decide what they can do both mentally and physically to defend themselves and property.  Shooting someone should always be a last ditch effort to survive.  Here in Alaska buying guns and carrying open or concealed requires no permits or other paperwork so thieves or someone looking to harm you may be fairly dangerous and or on drugs. They know that going on someone’s property with or without bad intentions and the permission of the property owner could result in their death.

One of the best ways to protect your property and yourself is to stop people before they can get to close to you.  Most like to sneak in under the cover of darkness so lighting them up with motion detecting lights is a great deterrent. Battery and solar powered motion detection lights are readily available and the LED ones run a long time.  Nothing like a spot light on you to make you feel like a target in the middle of the night when trespassing.

Motion detecting noisy alarms to scare them off during the day and night plus alert you to someone or something on your property.  Around here bears and moose can also be hard on your health.

Silent motion detectors that only let you know something is in your yard. I have been using a wireless motion detector for many years in town and offgrid for the last 8 years.  The current version let’s you hook up to 8 motion detectors to 1 receiver. First one beeps once and the last one 8 times so you know what area of your property has movement.  Long range, simple setup, long lasting batteries relatively cheap and very few false alarms. Not sure if I can list the brand here but will if someone is interested.

Game cameras are now available that will notify your smartphone and send a pic of what set it off.  I recently added a security camera system. Local box store type with 16 cameras.  I had vandalism 3 times down at my gate which is 1700 feet away.  Now everything is recorded plus I can watch it live. Had a rough looking crew come by the gate twice one day and then again at 330 am.  Posted a picture of them and their truck on a couple of bulletin boards with a little advice about hanging out some place else.  Word got back to me that they were suspected of a number of break ins. They haven’t been back.

For non lethal self protection bear spray is great. For those of you living in in gun free states or for in your vehicle a dry  chemical fire extinguisher will put down a crowd and makes a good club once empty.

Shooting someone could end up taking a long time in court or just getting rid of the body a lot of work.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Yeah, keep everything out of sight and ready for action.  I would not like living in an area that requires motion detectors, game cameras and the like that use more power, battery or inverter.  Further complications to simple living.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.