MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion passive solar home design advice on windows????

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gordo 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

beavermeadow
    Participant

I need info on energy efficient design. Especially windows. I am looking at window I am planning to put on the south side of my home to generate heat in the winter. The energy star description is confusing. They state low heat transfer (in summer) will the solar heat transfer be high in the winter? What type of windows are best for this purpose? Anyone have any good advise or where to get it. Salesmen around here dont have good answers.

gordo
    Participant

depending on your location(longitude) you may consider installing the window with a pitch to have gain in the winter when sun is at lower angle. with a 2-3 foot eve you will shade the window in the summer. another consideration is what elevation you will install the windows in relation to the elevation where the window was manufactured. gas filled double pane windows will fail if the elevation from manufacture to instal location is more then 2000 ft. . for the money I’m a big fan of commercial door glass. 6ft by 3ft. install directly between studs with silicone. trim out on inside and outside to hold in place. each to replace and about 200 bucks for 18 sq ft.

also a big mistake made for passive solar is “you need lots of glass” … this glass will also be a source of heat loss and draft. again all depends on location/ and climate where your installing.

cheers gordo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.