MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Our age factor ~ important consideration

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sixgun911 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Grandpa
    Participant

Hello all, am a newbie here, and enjoyed reading some of the post.

Just wanted to say that “Age” is a very important factor to living out in the sticks too.

My wife and I are in our 60’s, and finding it more and more difficult to get things done around the property here each year..

so as a resolve to our situation, we are looking for a younger couple to “help” with our chores, [especially firewood and gardening],in exchange for a small cabin that we have on our homestead, [viva caretaker sites searches.]

We love the lifestyle of living out in the mountains with mother nature, the peace and quiet of the slow~lane..

But when the “years” start creeping into the ole’ bones… everything slows down..and even keeping up the “maintenance” of the Good Life becomes an increasing work load..

But all said and done…We’ve experienced about every kind of hardship associated with living out in the sticks over past years, and in my opinion, the primary key to what is called “Survival” is simply learning to live in harmony with mother nature, preparations for the elements of the seasons.. etc.. [unfortunately…”Age” can’t be overcome a great deal with fore planning..:-}

God bless and warm holidays to all! fathersplace29@yahoo.com

sixgun911

Great post, runs together with my healthcare posts. I think even with age its possible to live off grid. just reducing the amount of exertion one has to do to stay off grid makes it possible. Also its a great idea for the caretaker person living on site.

Dustoffer
    Participant

When I started this independent home do-it-all-yourself project, I knew I was at the end of my physical abilities. My old war injury (shot down 1-14-70 flying unarmed medical rescue) was turning to traumatic arthritis. Building an Earthship takes a lot of strength, even with helpers, like my young son and wife, and various tools and tricks. If you don’t have the money to hire people to do everything for you, you have to have the physical strength and gumption to do what it takes to fully design and build an independent home. I barely made it, and am now much too disabled to ever do it again. One reason I moved to the mountains is because I loved hiking and climbing, and now that is very difficult and painful. There will come a time when we may have to sell out to someone who wants to live green, and get an apartment in the dreaded city to be closer to medical care. There may come a time when I don’t feel like living anymore, especially in the overpopulated city. I do want a natural burial, when the time comes.

We could do what the gentleman above does and rent out the Earthship or part of the eco-house to a young couple, with reduction for helping take care of us. Maybe my own son. He can’t find work in the city and all the beginning jobs are taken by low buck foreigners and illegal aliens. He refuses to go in the service, probably because of my wounds and experience with disability and the VA. I would rather die here, going down fighting.

sixgun911

Soldier keep fighting on!!! I am ex military myself, not disabled but getting up in years and i can relate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.