MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Off-grid stereo what to do?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jawnn 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

jawnn
    Participant

I live off the grid, my landlord has the power, they use so much of it that they can’t keep up with it, so the power keeps going out. I need to be off their grid power, I invested in several LED lights and now I am looking for a stereo that can be run off a 6 amp charger (along with the lights).

I need a 5 amp or less (maximum spike power usage) 12 volt DC stereo with built in mp3 player/ recorder…. why is it so hard to find such a thing? Because only “no one” wants to live off grid? Well I need to stay out in the forest.

I can’t use a car stereo because they waste too much power, 8-12 amps.

what can I do? Is ther any portable stereos that use very little power? I already have two 7 watt speakers, so I would love to not buy more.

jawnn
    Participant

Is there an off grid store that should sell this kind of thing?

jawnn
    Participant

some one suggested using a capacitor on a car stereo to keep it from over powering….no idea how to do that.

revinger
    Participant

Your first post, first paragraph is a bit perplexing. In first two lines you make contradictory statements. Are you wanting to be off-grid, or are you. You say both?

While some car stereos might have a max current draw of 8-12 amps. That is their max current draw. Amps are directly proportional to the volume. Are you planning on running this stereo at an ear splitting volume?

I’ve used 12 volt car stereos on solar setups and at least the ones I had, for the volume I needed never pulled more that a couple of amps. Granted the last one I ran this way was a few years ago.

What is limiting you to the 5 amp max? In my area of the US, that is about the average usable amp hours I would expect out of a 20 watt panel with a cheap charge controller.

That would provide a 5 amp load for “approximately” 1 hour, or a 1 amp load for 5 hours.

I am trying to put your 5 amp limit in perspective. How long do you plan on listening to this “5 amp” stereo a day, you need to take that into consideration as well.

Regarding the “capacitor” suggestion, for the power levels you appear to be limited to capacitors near the stereo are not going to gain you anything. From what I know the guys that are doing that, are the ones that have the stereos in their cars that you can hear the bass a 1/4 mile away or more. It is comparing apples and oranges.

bob

revinger
    Participant

oops I reread your first post.

You are not really off the grid, it reads as though you are creating a backup supply/UPS?

You say you have a 6 amp charger, If you are wanting to maintain some lights and tunes when you lose power. Get a bigger battery. Amps over time is what needs to be added to the equation. A motorcycle battery, which is not deep cycle and will not last you very long might provide you a couple hours at a 5 amp draw. Where if you had a pair 220 amp/hour deep cycle battery you could run your 5 amp load +20 hours and not take the battery below 50% discharge.

bob

shaggy

hi jjawnn.

not sure if i’ve done this right, had a few problems logging in. a bit confused still!

in answer to your question, a lot of computer speakers that run from a plug in power supply will run off 12 volts and produce a reasonably respectable sound. i have that advantage of being into electronics as a hobby and a living so know what to look for, but not computers :)

look for the plug in power unit and check for the words “output 12VDC ” usually followed by the current rating. check the polarity of the output, usually, BUT NOT ALWAYS, positive is the center pin. cut off and recycle the power unit and connect the wires to your 12v supply with a fuse (about 2A or 3A) in the positive wire. plug in your MP3 player and enjoy.

hope that helps or inspires

shaggy

jawnn
    Participant

I am off the main power grid, but not off my landlords grid.

is there a way to limit the power that stereo uses? other than volume control, I don’t want to accedently distroy my 7 watt speakers.

I was looking at T-amps … all to powerfull….why doesnt any one just make a small power stereo like they used to?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Topping-TP20-Mark2-Class-T-Amp-TA2020-25W-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ370355290610QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563ae541f2

shaggy

hi jawnn

not sure on you location. another item i am about to try is available from http://www.cpc.farnell.com is what they call “clever little box” their stock number AV19635.

this is a four channel 12Watt stereo amplifier designed to be fitted into gaming machines. has a single stereo input and front and rear speaker with a 12VDC input. this will take about 4-5 Amps max if you have all four speakers plugged in and everything at full volume.

i am about to fit one to my camper van. but not heard it as yet

cost me about 45 GBP

not sure if they export though.

jawnn
    Participant

no time to think/ explain…..looking like will have to use a car stereo that has ‘pre-amp’ only…..maybe resisters on the speakers to keep from over loading axidently. will post the final solution later.

jawnn
    Participant

apearantly there is no car stereo with 3 amp fuse…..

Maybe an mp3 player with 12v adapter….?

I am tired of this whole thing.

Anonymous

I went over this at another forum..

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=343125

jawnn
    Participant

The only thing that I have found are mp3 speaker stations that run on batterys, and the car stereo that no one can tell me th fuse amp rating for.

Anonymous

Do you know the wattage output of the car stereo? (total) It may have 4 channels with a stated wattage. Add them all together, divide by 2, divide by your working voltage. (12 volts) This will give you the maximum amount of current the unit uses.

If you read the post(s) that I made at Homesteading Today, you will find some details that will help.

jawnn
    Participant

I found a good off grid radio at ccrain.com that will record mp3 (Sangean PR-D8 AM/FM Radio-MP3 Player/Recorder)

http://www.ccrane.com/

And an amplifier kit just the right size at http://www.electronickits.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.