Off Grid Home Forums Technical Discussion off-grid stereo conection?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jawnn
    Participant

I have been searching for info how to conect my car stereo to my battery system. The instructions say to connect to a car ACC. I can’t find info about what that is…..maybe an Alternator Control Cercuit? well it should not be more than 14.6 volts in that case. that’s what  my charger puts out. 

But I am still not sure that there is not a voltage controller that keeps the radio cercuits at 12 volts. Maybe in the radio its self??

ACC= accessory wire

https://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ACC_wire_coming_out_of_a_car_stereo says:
    IT GIVES YOU A POWER SOURCE WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE HOOKED UP TO THE ACC (ACCESSORY) WIRE FROM YOUR CAR WHICH WILL GO ON AND OFF WITH THE IGNITION. THIS IS NOT A CONSTANT POWER SOURCE, DO NOT HOOK YOUR STATION MEMORY OR CLOCK TO THIS POWER SOURCE

Wretha

How old is the stereo? Is it a very modern one with a wire harness? I have an old friend and former co-worker who works for a company that installs car audio and other automotive type toys, I can ask him if you can give me more info.

Wretha

jawnn
    Participant

It is a brand new stereo multimedia player with multi band fm radio….I am hooking it up this week end .. recon I will have to ask at the car parts. Not thet they know any thing.

jawnn
    Participant

Remember there is no car involved here.

I understand you aren’t hooking this up to a car, :)

Apparently the ACC is an accessory wire that doesn’t receive power from the battery when the key is turned off, some things in a car stereo need some power all the time, to keep the time set and to keep your saved stations in memory, other parts do not need power unless it is on, such as the display, cd ejector and such…

Good luck with the car parts place, they may or may not be able to help, if you are lucky you will find someone who thinks outside the box and will be willing and able to give you the advice you need. Let us know how it works for you.

We hooked up a car stereo to our batteries, it was a long time ago and it’s not hooked up anymore, I don’t exactly remember why either… it worked, I think we had to cut off the plastic part of the wire harness to expose the wires, we had to look up what each wire was for. It’s been several years and honestly I don’t remember much about it except that it worked but at some point we removed it and never put it back.

Wretha

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is not rocket science here,  If your power system is a  12 volt  system just hook it up like your hooking it up in a car.

We have our speekers mounted in the walls and the sound really well

12vman
    Participant

I’ve been using car stereo equipment for years. As Alrod53 states, it’s that simple..

I use home audio speakers instead of car stuff. They sound much better. If you’re not using an amplifier, stay in the 100 watt region..

Always use ground loop isolators on your audio inputs if you connect another device to your head unit powered from the same battery. Ground loops can and will fry stuff! I used a small amp with a TV powered by the same battery, using the earphone output of the TV to the amp, and the TV went up in smoke! Totally destroyed it! The “Ground” of the earphone jack on the TV wasn’t at the same potential as the battery ground. It used a floating ground power supply in the TV for the audio section and the amp “Ground” or shield of the audio inputs were at battery ground potential. Not a good mix..

I use one of these for my TV/DVD system. I had to build a seperate power supply for this unit because of a ground loop issue through the HDMI connection to my video projector..

https://www.jensenrvdirect.com/jensen-am-fm-cd-dvd-usb-wb-ipod-ready-wallmount-stereo-with-hdmi-video-output.html#questions-list

jawnn
    Participant

I finnaly used logic to figure it out: the red ACC wire connected to the yellow wire; positive side of the battery. there was no other way to do it. The black wire was the neg ground.

And the steeo works fine at 14.6 volts. At 12.5 volts it drops only .04 volts (volume setting 13). I do not know how many watts that is. But it is less than most of my LED ligths.

And I am using two large coaxel speakers at 4ohms 40watt max each. I think if I turned it up all thet way my ears would pop.

You say I could use 8 ohm speakers???? I have several of those left over from old stereos.  I was thinking about more speakers for the rear channels, in another room.

12vman
    Participant

The yellow wire is the ACC. connection. This wire turns the unit on/off with the key when it’s mounted in a vehicle. You could install a toggle switch in that wire between the battery and the unit so the amp shuts down while you’re not using it. The red wire is the one that supplies the power to everything.. (Amp, CD drive, Ect..)

Yes, you can use 8 ohm speakers on it. I’m sure the head unit is stable down to 2 ohms because it’s designed to operate 4-4 ohm speakers. (2 in the front and 2 in the rear)

Just remember.. The more speakers you add to it, the more energy it will use..

jawnn
    Participant

Well they had the wire back words then.   both went together, and I use the main power switch to turn it off.

Can I use just one woofer on the rear two channels, conect both rear speaker wires to one wooffer? should it be 8 ohm or 2 ohm? maybe it needs some electronic parts?

jawnn
    Participant

the stereo uses only 3 watts aprox. with two  5″ diameter coaxle speakers no woofers.

https://offgriddev.wpengine.com/forums/topic/ground-loop-and-woofers/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.