MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Off grid printer works

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  WrethaOffGrid 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

WooHoo my printer works! I was worried when I ordered this printer, I know laser printers will not work on modified sine wave inverters, at least that’s what I have read. My printer is not laser, but it is one of those all-in-one printer/scanner/copier setups, I was worried about the scanner part not liking the modified sine wave inverter. I contacted Canon to ask about this, apparently they don’t get questions like this, first they said it wouldn’t work, then they said it might, eventually they settled on “give it a try” for an answer.

When I received it, I hooked it up, I can’t believe how much printers have changed, my old one died before moving to our off grid home, I didn’t have the funds to purchase another one at the time, so I decided to live without one. It took about an hour to get all the drivers and software installed, it went smoothly though, I am happy with the whole thing.

This is the printer, it’s a Canon, it uses separate ink tanks for each color (cheaper to replace), it has a wireless interface though I chose not to use that feature.

http://tinyurl.com/3q3mole

Wretha

caverdude
    Participant

I hear some inverters have a power output adjustment that needs to be turned up sometimes. For example I bought a microwave that would blink on when I hit start, I gave it away and bought another microwave that only does this sometimes. A guy told me to turn up the power output on the inverter to fix the problem. I have not tried this yet because most of the time this microwave I have starts, but I intend to look at the inverter sometime to see if this adjustment can be made. Its a 1500 watt I think, huge inverter though. I have had 1500watt inverters that were smaller.

http://larrydgray.net

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I know that anything with a digital timer (digital clock) are not happy with MSW inverters, they require a pure sine wave (PSW) inverter. I have a new microwave that I brought out here, when I hooked it up, it would not run right, it was very clear that it would not run right, it would run, but not the way it’s supposed to, I know someone with an older, dial type microwave, it’s either on or off, no digital timers or clocks, I know that would work, I have threatened to trade my digital one for the analog one, but quite frankly I don’t use a microwave very often, I can’t remember the last time I used one, I just don’t like them.

I also hooked up a bread machine quite some time back, I had enough power to run the thing, but again, the timer was not happy, after about 15 minutes, it gave an error message and was stuck on (hot).

My inverter has a soft start feature, I wonder if that would help your situation with it sometimes not starting your microwave? I can’t adjust mine at all. I have taken it a part and cleaned it, I purchased some graphite to lubricate the fan next time I disassemble it, I don’t dare put anything liquid in it, with the dust we have, it would not be a good thing.

Wretha

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.