MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New to the Forum

This topic contains 21 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Edd 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Edd
    Participant

but not new to the Feeling of wanting to escape. Very close to buying a camper to live in. Tired of throwing my hard earned away renting. Have put in a lot of thought to this and the urge to do it gets stronger every year. Hopefully I can network with some likeminded people

Marc_uk
    Participant

Hi Edd, you sound like you’re in the UK?

I’ve been mainly off-grid for 9 years so I might have some tips for you.

Good luck with whatever you do anyway,

Marc

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Sounds good to me Edd, I think if I didn’t live where I do (off grid on my own property) I’d consider doing that…

Wretha

12vman
    Participant

I lived in a 20′ camper for 5 yrs. Heated my bath water on a kerosene heater. (Which also heated my camper in the winter) Carried 2 Marine Deep cell batteries in my work van, connected to the charging system of the van so they would charge while I was doing my daily things. Carried the batteries inside at night to operate a few little items. (TV, Lights, Car Stereo, Water Pump) Heck, I had it made!

Edd
    Participant

Oh my, replies! I checked back for days and days and didn’t see any, now months later there are some. Maybe website issues? Yep am in England, Yorkshire to be more precise. I love it, still mad as ever on the idea of living in a camper, or a bus or something.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

LOL Edd, I think you have already started the process of being off grid, not knowing the date :) If you check, you posted on May 5th, you received a reply on the same day, and two more the next day….

Glad you came back though…

Wretha

Edd
    Participant

Had no electric at my home since Thursday. Not the first time. Was great! Cooked my water for tea on a camp stove, the only problem was my shower is electric so no showers! Only cold water and a sink. The only downside really was I wanted to use my welder to do some work to one of my cars. This is going to be a key point for my future. I must have electric so I can use my power tools!

12vman
    Participant

I find sometimes that if I don’t refresh after coming here, I miss things. If I don’t refresh, I still see yesterdays page! (And it will repeat the next day too!) After a refresh, things update to present. Must be my browser.. Idunno..

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

12vman, are you using Firefox? If so, go to this page, scroll down to the bottom and use the last suggestion
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/905902

I assume you know how to use about:config on Firefox….

There are other suggestions, but I think the last one may work best.

If you are using IE, or some other browser, I don’t know what to tell ya :)

Wretha

Edd
    Participant

I also need to refresh and afterwards all is well. I’m so pleased this is an active forum!

Edd
    Participant

Ok, my apartment is connected to a main gas supply. The gas heats my home in winter, and heats my water. I don’t need this in the summer, also I have an electric shower. So to save money, I don’t ‘top up’ the gas card. straightforward? Every winter when I really need heating I find my accont to be at least £60 in debt, yep they are charging me for not using gas. This I have got used to, no, there’s no leak, that’s just how it is. However this year they have decided to sent me a letter. ‘why have you not topped up your gas since April, your account is now in £20 arrears, to stop furter action, courts, bailiffs’ blaa blaa you get the picture. See this gas account is a drop in the ocean, for me. But this is exactly the corruption I am trying to escape, by moving into a camper.

Marc_uk
    Participant

Yes Edd, they’re all a bunch of crooks. Fortunately I’m not hooked up to any except water, and that I get through a neighbouring farmer so don’t have any contact with the water company. I’d hate to be back in the utility free-for-all. Get that camper soon as you can :) –

Incidentally I saw your post about needing power for welding etc. I have the same problem and just have to find ways round it. You can use a welder off a fairly cheap generator, ditto grinders etc. In fact I mainly use a genny that cost me £90 new for small tools. It’s easy to move around and no great worries about getting it stolen. For a drill I mainly use a 24v cordless that I run on 2 car batteries, charged from the solar panels. I have a bigger generator if I need it, but they are quite cheap now unless you want best quality. Mine’s and old Honda one that cost me £120

Edd
    Participant

Machine Mart suggested the price bracket for generator I require is £2000-£3000 !! I’d be too worried about the thing if I ever bought it! Maybe they were talking BS.

Edd
    Participant

So what are the cold hard facts about living in a camper and the law of the land? Must be insured, must have valid MOT and should really be TAXed if used on public road. How about parking on verges in the middle of nowhere? Council TAX people suggested I would have to pay council tax even in a camper. I welcomed them to try and find me! I will not be paying them a penny.

Edd
    Participant

And if I use the ’30 day rule’ on my own land when can i return for 30 days? Can i just divvy up my land into 12 lots and register them out to friends and family?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.