MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion new to off grid

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Marc_uk 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lenne Lenape
    Participant

Hello everyone, I am new here and very excited to find out how many like mided people there are out there. I consider myself as a great worker and up until not too long ago my mind worked only on business,I lived in a city surrounded by everything and still there was something missing but just couldn’t figure what it was.Simple living and farm life where always in the heart of me but unfortuately they got buried in the layers a materialistic life that gave me no satisfaction at all. I met my now fiancee’ about 5 years ago we were best friends then and later we discovered that it is more than great friendship that we share. He has helped me a lot in the past years to find my inner self and see what it was that I truly wanted and I know that this is what I want to do with a 100% certinty.He is very well verrsed about off grid living and I am very excited about it all, we are planning to go off grid next spring if all goes well. We are very handy people and have tons of work experience. He is a home builder, a maintenance worker, a bike builder and a chaplin, I am a proffesional tailor, a great cook, proffessional housekeeper and work as a building superintendent with a lot of experience. Our plan is to buy land and eventually have a community where we welcome families that would want to come in and be a part of us. We are very happy, honest people that work hard and have no problem sharing greatness through wheter it is food, work or just gatherng together to share life experiences as we beleive that is what makes life truly worthwhile. We have great ideas for the future and I am glad that I found this site so I could share with like minded people and who knows maybe together we can do great things.

I am in the process of planning what I need to get ready for our move.

I would like to ask anyone out there that has already done this to share with me the preparation process. We are in search of land and water that is our main goal, I already have an idea of animals that I would want to have I need to know where I can get my seeds so I can start planting etc. I would welcome any suggestions, tips etc Thank you so much, I appreciate all responses

Marc_uk
    Participant

Hi Lenne, welcome to the off-grid family :-)

I don’t know if I can help you much in practical ways as I’m in the UK and lots of things will be different here.

One thing that I have found though, is no matter how carefully you plan, there will be lots of things that you overlook or that turn out differently in practice.

You need to allow plenty of cash for contingencies. I found that it all takes longer than expected to get set up and I needed far more of tools,equipment and materials than I had planned for.

I am on my own so that does make it more difficult in some ways, but I found it’s easy to get overwhelmed and disillusioned by how hard work everything is.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great and I love it, but it can sometimes get frustrating when things don’t go well – especially if you are running out of money.

I hope you can find the land that you want, and that it all goes well for you. I’m sure you will love the off-grid life, it is very satisfying in many ways.

Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with.

Marc

Lenne Lenape
    Participant

Thank you Marc, I appreciate your feedback.It will be great if we kept contact. Lenne

Dustoffer
    Participant

Welcome, Lenne, you and your fiancee sound well skilled to go off grid. This thread has a lot of info for growing, building, solar, etc;

http://www.www.off-grid.net/forum/topic.php?id=2765

Lenne Lenape
    Participant

dear dustoffer, thank you for your info yes I beleive we are. We also are already building stuff that is really great for people like us but I am not going to put it here as I don’t want anyone to think we are trying to adverstise, far from it I decided to post here to meet like minded people and get connected but I am sure we will be helping each other. All sounds great.

Lenne

Marc_uk
    Participant

Certainly Lenne, I’d be happy to stay in contact. I don’t know if this site has a PM function, if it has I haven’t found it yet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.