MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New To Forum

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Mr. Fixit
    Participant

Somehow, I ended up here from a video on YouTube.

Although I’m finding this site a bit challenging to quickly navigate, I decided to join as I find a lot of like-minded people frequent it. Hopefully, I can both learn from and help guide others in becoming more independent. I’ve been living a pseudo-off grid lifestyle off and on for a number of years. It is apart from social norms and it is far from glamorous. It also has it’s stresses but I will tell you that I have enjoyed not being so desperate for money. The work I do is what I enjoy doing and the money I gain from it is a side effect. As far as I’m concerned, the instant you do things you wouldn’t normally do, just for the sake of money is the instant you have sold your soul.

caverdude
    Participant

Welcome to the forum. What area of the country/globe are you at? Arkansas USA here. I’m 90% off grid as I’m not home at my camper 90% of the time lol. My career is trucking at the moment. What are you calling pseudo-off-grid?

http://blog.larrydgray.net

Mr. Fixit
    Participant

I’m in Southeast Virginia.  I’ve lived in a camper off and on for several years. The last 3 have been without any water hookup and 20 amps of electricity run from an extension cord. Although I’ve done a bit of research, I’ve yet to build the systems that I want to experiment with to make my place truly self sufficient. I ultimately want to be able to park in the middle of nowhere if I chose without suffering total loss of any function and have little to no operational expense. Fortunately, I have some vehicles that I can liquidate to help finance my experiments.

I’ve been self employed in the Automotive field for 7 years. The last 3 years, I’ve simply rented a lot or a shop for work and just parked my camper there.  It has saved me the expense of  having another payment simply for a place to rest my head and my fuel expenses dropped as I have never have had to drive home from work.

I think I’m getting to a point where I’m emotionally ready to take a giant leap. You see…I am not a big fan of being in this area. Being originally from Minnesota in a town of 300 people, all I see is greed here. Besides that, I honestly don’t feel safe for a number of reasons. The reason I decided to join this site is that I’m hoping to find like minded individuals to help me with advice, help and motivation to make such a change as I would like to do for them.  I don’t think I’m alone in feeling that I’ve never been so uncertain of the future of my environment as I have been as of late. Honestly, I’m frightened and it’s not just for myself.

caverdude
    Participant

You may want to listen to the Survival Pod Cast  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com then because you are not alone. Also they have a great forum.

yaz.darling
    Participant

Hi, I’m Yazz. Brisbane city, Australia. Keen to meet some other Australians (in person obviously), and learn some things, looking to buy land and be off grid in 12-24 months, selling the house in the suburbs. Anywhere I can find local off griders?

Also, my boyf registered to this site but it won’t let him log in. How can he rectify this? Changed p/word but it still won’t work.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Yaz.darling,

What is your boyfriend’s username and name here, I’ll look into it and see what I can do,

Wretha

Anonymous

hi I’m marcelle, I am a single mom to a 7yr old boy. Originally from the UK but have lived in the usa now for 28yrs.  I have my son in public school now for his 2nd yr but would really like to find a community and be off grid so as I could homeschool/unschool with other parents or alternative school him.  I work pt and teach drama/dance after school, I am interested in somatic movement therapy and healing arts, currently I have my MA in special education and a modern dance background. Some of the places I am thinking about moving to are: the UK, Western Massachusetts nr Amherst, Earthaven or nearby in Asheville NC, or an intentional community in Virginia.  I like Vermont but think it may be really cold….I’m open to other areas too, but chose these as there is an artists scene there and progressive minded people.   I do not mind living simple, ie. yurts, tiny houses ect…I prefer to live inexpensively as I do not have cash to purchase expensive houses or land at the moment. I prefer to live in a child friendly community, or multi generational.

Thank you for reading:)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.