MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion NEW MEXICO Where Can I place off grid cabin?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dustoffer 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Are there any cities or districts where a guy can place a cabin, have a compost toilet, and well, or rain collection, and call it a day, without the man breathing down one’s neck (I mean, legally off grid)? A list would be great. Thanks. I’m the spiritual type, so that kind of a community would be to my advantage. I was thinking of placing a log cabin, or even a shipping container (modified)Yehoshua bless.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

You will need to contact the counties where you want to live and ask them about building restrictions, perhaps you could contact a realtor as well, they should be versed in the local rules, regulations, restrictions and codes…

Wretha

Dustoffer
    Participant

Check out the maps in this thread;

http://www.www.off-grid.net/forum/topic.php?id=2765

Horse Islanders
    Participant

Tres Piedras. My wife has family in Arroyo Hondo, and we are up that way a lot. We’ve talked to a lot of people who live off the grid there, and go to the hot springs in Hondo. It sounds like they aren’t hassled…ever. One couple lived in a bus that they built some sort of hay bale addition onto, and had another hogan type structure they built on their land. No permits or hassles from the city, etc ever.

Dustoffer
    Participant

That is STRAW bale, not hay (which is edible and rots easy). Taos County is in a green zone for carbon free building, and uses the 2006 IBC, with wind loads 80 mph and seismic 2, and snow load 40 lbs./ft. (it is always better to build stronger)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=international+building+code+2006

No hassles to substandard houses ‘grandfathered’ in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.