MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New Member Introduction

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ladyapril 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Joel
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Like many here, I am tired of things as they have been, unimpressed with modern society, and am ready to do things differently.  A life where my daily activities are more relevant, if that makes any sense.
    I have lots of supplies, a broad range of the appropriate skills, and have always been very healthy, so I consider myself very lucky. One problem is that I have more ‘stuff’ then I know what to do with. In addition to a lifetime of accumulations, I have a very large shop, plus raw materials and supplies. I hesitate to give up much of the shop for several reasons. Unfortunately, finding enough room would be a significant problem. Just moving everything will be a daunting task and keeping everything adequately secure causes me concern.

I had spent a lot of time looking for the right property in south central Oklahoma and the surrounding areas. About 2 years ago I was ready to go and had found the ideal place, but when nearly complete, the deal fell through. My dream of 80 acres with an existent small house, well, pond, etc, has been declining ever since. Dwindling finances now have me looking for a small parcel of land away from close neighbors and the bustle of modern life. It seems like I am ‘all dressed up with nowhere to go’.

This could be book length, so I guess I will stop here. I feel that I have had a fortunate and comfortable life, but it looks like it is time for a major change.

caverdude
    Participant

Welcome,

Where do you live? Are you asking where to start? Are you wanting to quit the grid cold turkey? Many books I have read say to work your way off grid. Honestly off grid can mean living very poor to start. Or it means up front investments that pay over time. It seems to me to be a pay now or pay later situation in many cases.

http://blog.larrydgray.net

beast
    Participant

being truly off the grid costs nothing
    having on the grid garbage without the grid is whats expensive
    sure the nice thigns are nice and they make life easier
    but i cant live my life addicted to materialistic bull
    i grew up without it and other than this pc i can go back to living without it

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hi Joel, you were so close at embedding your image, you did the URL correctly, but you needed to do THAT part in the “Text” tab (look at the upper right corner of the box you are typing in)… do that and it will work :)

I’ll edit your post to make it show.
    Wretha

Cahow
    Participant

Welcome, Joel. You wrote: ” I have a very large shop, plus raw materials and supplies. I hesitate to give up much of the shop for several reasons.” What kind of “stuff”? The kind that can make you money? Well, that’s a GOOD thing! Skilled manual labor is always in demand and is a great way to barter for items that you might need in the future. You paid for your supplies and tools with “yesterday’s money”; trying to replace them at current cost would be a  bloody fortune if you dumped them and then realized your mistake.

Have you ever thought of relocating your dream North of the Mason/Dixon Line? There’s tons of foreclosed homes in Michigan with great water, clean air and low population. Your dream might still be able to happen if you “Go North, Young Man!” ;)

Joel
    Participant

Caver, I live in north Texas, and I guess I am not really asking anything specific yet. Really, I don’t care if I am on the grid, I just don’t want to be dependent on it. However, it seems likely that properties that will meet both my criteria and budget, will be off grid.

Hi Beast. I would not classify my tools and equipment as materialistic bull nor garbage, but I think I understand what you are saying. These are things that have made me the money which has allowed me some level of freedom. Not insignificantly, they also allow me to build and repair virtually anything, which would seem to be handy in the scenario I am expecting. Honestly, this ability is also a part of the ‘spice’ in my life. My basic fab tools, mig welder and other things are very likely to go with me, but I have a lot of stuff and am not sure what I really need to keep. I don’t want to get rid of things, and later wish I hadn’t.
    To be clear, I have no desire for any more of a primitive life than circumstances (largely of my choosing) dictate. As you wish not to part with your PC, neither do I wish to do without an angle grinder and generator. I have been known to appreciate a dentist too on occasion, if you know what I mean. So, I currently don’t see any reason to completely abandon things that have served me well in the past, and may yet serve me better in the future.
    It would on the other hand, just be one hell of a lot easier to do what I want if my life fit in the back of my truck and trailer. 

beast
    Participant

michigans land taxes are hell tho cahow, thats why im ready to vacate this place
    yes joel tools you use are not garbage, my pc is one of my tools
    but as far as habdtools mine are real hand tools, powered by “armstrong”….lol

Cahow
    Participant

Hi, Joel. Well, I for one will NEVER advocate someone boiling their life down to a tin cup and a tarp. At a tiny home forum I frequent, one member with waaaaay too much OCD, actually counts the items in her tiny home and won’t allow the number to exceed 100. Good Grief…your life is reduced to that!?! How tragically silly and severe. Get on a new drug, girlfriend!

Allow me to offer you some sage advice: DON’T GET RID OF ANYTHING, YET!!! Find your place, move into it with what you “think” you’ll need, and toss the remainder into storage. Promise yourself that “One Year from Now, whatever I don’t need, I’ll sell/donate/pitch.” Then, revisit that promise a year later and revise it if you desire.

When my much beloved Mother-In-Law moved in with my husband and I from Minnesota to Chicago, she thought “Oh, I won’t need my washer or dryer or sewing machine or freezer or….any longer” so she gave it all away to charity. She moved into her own floor of our two-flat and pretty soon, she’d say, “Oh, I sure miss having my washer and dryer on the same level so I don’t have to go up and down all those stairs!” or “I sure wish I had my sewing machine so I could make some drapes for my new home.”

You see where I’m going with this. Within a year’s time, my husband and I had to buy all new things for his Mum, so she’d be happy and live a full life. (by the way, I cherished her until the day she passed on).

It makes my blood boil when I read from so many people that “things tie you down”, “stuff anchors you”, blahblahblah. Maybe their stuff ties them down but mine doesn’t! I have inherited all the amazing antiques that were my relatives and my 3 children already know who’s getting what so there’s no fights. I LOVE my “stuff” as it ties me to my roots and has a story with each item. Each time I bake, I use the 1920 Hoosier Cabinet that was my Granpa’s wedding gift to my Granma. I use her rolling pin to roll out  biscuits, I use her biscuit cutter to make them and place them in a hand-carved catalpa wood bowl that Granpa carved for an anniversary present. HOW heartless does a person need to be to “get rid of that crap?”

So, Joel, do what’s right for you. You only get one chance at tossing something; don’t kick yourself in the b-hind for the rest of your life because you didn’t follow your heart.

Joel
    Participant

Thanks Wretha. I thought I was in the Text tab. IIRC, I was looking for the ‘HTML box’ and got confused when i couldn’t find one. Thanks for updating the instructions!

Cahow, Yes exactly. I guess a part of my concern is that I don’t KNOW exactly what I am going to need (and I have a lot of choices). There are many things that I really wouldn’t mind ‘doing without’, but I am not sure to what degree that would be a good idea. And as you noted, I simply would not be able to replace things that will have largely been sold off at bargain prices.

I had not considered going so far north, although you point out that there are very real benefits to be had. I don’t mind the heat too much and definitely do like the other 9 months of mild and sunny weather in this area. I was born in Minnesota, so am not a complete stranger to the northern weather. Not as much a young man anymore either, being mid forties. ; )

Cahow
    Participant

Joel: there’s no need for you to know the “unknown” as of now. Just continue doing what you’re doing and don’t let anyone else push you into bad ideas that will not affect them but will surely affect you. When we bought our 800 sq.ft. cottage 16 years ago, I furnished it with stuff from all my past lives. When we sold our 1,800 sq.ft. home in Chicago and moved to the cottage permanently, I gifted away some of the things at the cottage and used our City Stuff to add to the mix. The remainder went straight into 3 storage units. We hung onto the extra stuff for 5 years: gifting away “this & that” to whomever needed it, gradually reducing the unit down to 1/2 of one single unit. By then, we knew exactly how much storage we needed for Christmas Decorations/Winter Clothes/Skis, etc. We have zero regrets for how we finally reduced down our belongings: as the kids went off to Uni, they picked through the extra furniture/dishes and took them off to campus; local friends in Michigan who were cash-strapped we helped out by gifting sofas/clothing, etc.

As long as YOU can afford the storage units, tell any Busy Body to “STFU and Mind Your Own Bees-Wax!” (LOL)

Joel
    Participant

“At a tiny home forum I frequent, one member with waaaaay too much OCD, actually counts the items in her tiny home and won’t allow the number to exceed 100.”

That’s too funny. People impose the most arbitrary standards sometimes.

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you have made a very nice setup and everything worked out quite well. I don’t think I would have any trouble filling up several storage units, that’s for sure, but paying rent is almost painful to me. : )

Cahow
    Participant

” but paying rent is almost painful to me. : )”

Yes, but that’s the cost of being a Grown Up, now, isn’t it?! (LOL) Our excess furniture alone had a replacement value of over $150,000.00 so having 3 storage units @ $50 bucks a piece was a no brainer. As I mentioned, we gifted almost everything away to our 3 kids as they got their own homes and neighbors in need. One of our dear friends had a fire out here that destroyed 100% of their home, down to ashes. Just having a nice futon bed, extra kitchen stuff and clothing helped put their life back together again while they were rebuilding. :) They rebuilt their garage first, and moved in while the home was being rebuilt.

And I love your comment about the “arbitrary standards” that that woman imposes on her life. I sometimes wonder if some of these folks suffer from some type of pyschological issue that forces them to restrain themselves so heavily. Only allowing yourself two pairs of shoes, 3 shirts, x-amount of books…..Good Lord! Life is Waaaaay too short to place those type of restrictions on one’s self. She writes that she won’t “…allow any new thing into her tiny home without removing one item.” Jeepers! :-O  Another famous tiny house lover only allows “one piece of art in my home at a time, and I remove it after 3 weeks..” (do to sensory overload.) All I can say is, “Glad it’s not ME!”

Cahow
    Participant

Can’t edit posts. :( Meant “due to”, not “do to..”

ladyapril
    Participant

tools= easier to build things—-keep the tools if they will help you when you go off grid, then i say they are useful

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.