MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion New member going offgrid

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  gridfree 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

gridfree
    Participant

Hi, I am a new member here, I have been watching the site for awhile, I am currently looking to buy land in an unorganized municipality. I have done a lot of research in how to find the right location to start living offgrid.

My hopes are to purchase property this summer and purchase a mill, and the basic offgrid supplies needed to achieve this in an unorganized municipality, due to the remote area.

I have many questions for anyone that has picked up and decided to go offgrid, without having a huge bank account or a lot of physical support to do heavy lifting etc,

to help get an idea of what my goal for offgrid self sufficiency is as follows

unorganized municipality, no access to hydro

dont want the expense of a well and the huge electrical load to pump water out of a drilled well constantly.

looking at log home and outbuilding, due to amount of usable tress on property

want a variety of animals

want a variety of fruits and vegetables.

my goal is to be as self sufficient as possible

to start off what would the the basic equipment you needed to achieve these goals?

I will be documenting the entire process, from what research i did to find land to daily posts with pictures etc, I will be doing this on http://www.gridfree.ca a free online community under username thor, the site is just starting and we are using it to document the entire process of our journey to getting offgrid and self sustainable.

any and all ideas greatly appreciated in advance :)

beast
    Participant

learn before you burn
    dont cut yourself off until you really know what youre doing
    and i mean all of it, gardening, livestock, construction, water supply, food preservation, income
    to fully be self sufficient you need to know all of it and more

gridfree
    Participant

I am very confident in being able to accomplish this, i have had to resort to living offgrid in a home that was not set up for it, it was very expensive and a lot of work, especially freezing water in the winter having to haul water for animals etc.

i have most of the supplies needed for what i think is must haves, i was interested in hearing other peoples life lessons

as for construction, farming and animals and gardening, i have done construction professionally and as for the rest do it on a regular basis.

I feel a lot of the presumption is its too hard or cant be done without great difficulty, well I am of the belief its only as hard as you make it , and the less luxuries you need and less commercial you are the easier transition you will have. I have almost eliminated all of this out of my life, therefore ready for the next step,

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

One way to learn is by experience, sometimes it’s a hard way to learn too :)

J
    Participant

Where are you located?  Just curious.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

J

I live in far western Texas :)

Wretha

gridfree
    Participant

I am in Canada, Manitoba currently

gridfree
    Participant

yes, the sure way to learn is by experience, the more it effects you the faster you will learn not to do it again, Its not like we are in the real early years 1800 or earlier, in today time everything is obtainable with hard work and sacrifice wants to cater to the needs.

IMO offgid living is NOT harder than society commercialized work all your life shop at safeway 25 yr mortgage hire a professional to do everything because you have no time or energy after working for wal mart etc…. I see society easy now hard later, I dont like that idea, I rather work hard now while my body can handle the work to build and create the life I want, to make later easier, not saying there is not different challenges, there is, But compare the downfalls and sure mother nature can take everything, it happens, can make mistakes and have devastation in some ways, for the most part this would be because of my direct action or lack of.

This happens a lot less than than people loosing there jobs, interest rates going crazy, dollar crashing, market crashing, even over reach of legislation wrongfully taking citizens homes and land etc. these things for the most part are not the control of the individual, and the effect is very dramatic to say the least, and happens in drastic amounts daily.

when I look at the real picture what is really the best way for me to ensure an easy life, where I have more control over the outcome, Is to go offgrid, learn what I need to know, to make the proper choice later when it really counts.

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

Absolutely. I completely resonate with what you are saying gridfree. In fact I have a goal that I would like to share and perhaps you could give me some input. I think my ideal is your ideal, I will paste what I have wrote: What do you think of this concept, in which I have deemed to be of utmost importance for me to make reality, as it concerns the ideal way of life I envision. Imagine your home is powered by water wheel electricity, your food is supplied via a relatively self sustaining/low maintenance community food forest of ample diversity and abundance, where your village trades with the outside world, or, mates who buy things from the supermarket, things you have in abundance for things you need, eg meat, butter milk etc. Depending on the level of maintenance required once established, we are talking a way of life where your basic needs of survival are met by working in a relatively low maintenance food forest of potential beauty and wonder. What do you think? I know that I must save money to purchase land, which is very expensive,… what a bugger, as there is so much free space everywhere to begin something like this immediately :). You could just set up somewhere in the woods :P? But I dont think I should do that. I am 19 turning 20, have just began working within the system, paying bills etc. I wash dishes at a restaurant, perhaps I can find better work. my bank account is low. The fastest way I see this occuring is to save up and split the costs with a village worth of people. :)?

Regards from Tauranga, New Zealand

J
    Participant

That’s very similar to what I envision.  I realize I’ll have to eventually hook up with others who are doing this as I am completely ignorant at the moment.  :-)

J
    Participant

How do you find people that you can trust to hook up with?  This is what scares me the most as I have a family to look after. There’s mo way I can do this without people to learn from.  It’s very overwhelming.

gridfree
    Participant

Yes that is pretty much what I vision, The biggest factor that I have found is where you decide to go offgrid, with acts, statutes, and by laws it can make it very difficult to complete your vision. If you can not do everything you plan on in the area your looking at dont bother, you will be setting yourself up for a major headache.

I must suggest strongly not to go and squat on crown land, in CANADA you can not squat on land to gain ownership any more. also from my understanding, allodial title is also abolished in this NEW system. It may be different there but here if you get caught in crown land longer than 14 days they can seize everything!! I want to stress this point of fact!!!

As far as people go, this has been a huge challenge, for the most part everyone has the best intentions, if you can do it alone i say that s your avenue of less resistance you can say.

i have been trying to succeed at this for many years now while trying to work with others.

the biggest problem i see with other is different priorities and schedules, this is the real challenging part, because some are in a position they have to do know, others can do it at there leisure, when you have a number of people that are on different schedules it becomes nearly impossible to work in a co-op type community. due to the ones that have to do it know, do majority of the work and that becomes a problem. so you can see that just this by itself would be hard to accomplish without headache and drama a few months into it.

the next problem i have run into are people that will not take full responsibility for themselves in the form of they always need someone to help them, otherwise tasks dont get done, and someone else has to pick up there slack. this seems to be the biggest problem with people that have nothing to contribute.

I am not saying a true co-op would not work, I believe that a true co-op would be hard to start, but if started correctly would have a strong chance of thriving all on its own.

imo to correct the society misguided and dumb down people in it, education is needed, for me being offgrid is to take care of yourself, help other as much as you can and live easy.

I would change a few things until education and a coming together you can say of minds and souls for a true co-op to function properly.

the first is, 1 family or individual must take charge and start buy property and work getting yourself out.

every new person will have to build for themselves care for themselves in every way, once the individual has settled and is ready for a co-op then you can start the co-op, this does not mean , you cant share garden space, pasture area etc, help each other. need a layer of protection for you and everyone on the land, weather in a co-op or not, top priority is in your lively hood succeeding with out and problems or resets.

everyone that decides to join you, can, at first it is not a true co-op since everyone schedule etc is different. this will give everyone the time and space needed for them to do it how they need to in there time frame, without bringing problems to anyone else, since from what i have experienced in life is people dont try to screw ya, there life problems even after making an agreement will change if the new problem is more important to them than your agreement , then your left holding the bag. been there done that too many times..

so far this is a little of what i ran into, and what i have found to be the cause of the failure.

any ideas etc on ways to make it easier for people to work together in this messed up society? :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.