MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion need advice/direction

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  beast 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

rokahljr
    Participant

Hi all……I am wanting to go off grid and be self sufficient. I have no debt and own a truck worth about 15,000.00. Ideally I would like to purchase land in Alaska. I know I have to make sure I have proper access to the land. My thought process is a little jumbled right now and I am looking for a pathway. Do I finance against my truck for land? Do I set up a temporary tent shelter and build? I have the skills but not the money. What are my possibilities? So many questions and am having troubles finding the direction.  Any advice/criticism  would be appreciated.   Bob

Cahow
    Participant

Hi rokahlir: Honestly, there is so much extraordinary advice in prior threads, that I’d say to read threads in this forum, going back several pages. No one on this board can help with a “jumbled mind”, but perhaps reading through 10 pages or so of similar advice will aid you in focusing. By the way, none of this is said with snark; I’ve just seen this topic pop up over and over again and read incredible advice from the serious off grid folks that bears reading.

rokahljr
    Participant

Hi Cahow…..thanks very much for responding. I know you’re not being snarky and I appreciate your comments. I will take your advice and read the other post regarding my specific topic which I know has been asked countless times before.  I am beginning to realize that everybody’s path is different. I just need to find mine. Thx again.

caverdude
    Participant

Buy a used school bus for $3000 and set up house keeping in it. A bus can be moved from sun to shade in summer and shade to sun in winter.

http://blog.larrydgray.net

rokahljr
    Participant

That might be a possibility, but I was concerned about the insulating/heating qualities of a bus. Maybe a trailer that I could move around. I have seen truck campers which also might work. I think I would need a truck camper that has a “winter package” though. Thx for the suggestion Caverdude. I’ve perused your blogspot also. Lots of good info there!!

Empoweredfarmer
    Participant

There is a great book about a group of Hippies that goes from cali to Alaska called drop city you get a little feel of what free ranging it in Alaska might be like. http://www.amazon.com/Drop-City-T-C-Boyle/dp/0142003808 its  good read, EFarmer

rokahljr
    Participant

Thanks very much EFarmer, I will be sure to check it out!!

beast
    Participant

build a camper that slides on and off the back of your truck
    not hard to do, doesnt have to be big, just well set up and insulated
    then go find your place and set up your camper. instant cabin :)
    once its on the ground on a suitable foundation you can add leantos as needed
    you could also find a heavy snowmobile trailer and build a small camper/cabin on it
    when youre where you wanna be set the camper off or remove the wheels and axles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.