Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion NE Nevada offgrid village

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    chowan
    Participant

lol puppies and kittens are fine right now ive got a hating on chickens

actually what i need is a dog that will keep the chickens away from the

human area but that wont eat the chickens or rabbits for that matter.

GypsyTrixz
    Participant

Thank you greasyj for the link https://www.smile4uinc.com we bought our land and we can not wait until spring to get started!! The folks at smile4u are wonderful!!!

chowan
    Participant

well in the interest of developing the local trade and community in this area

ive started a small message board.so if anyone in the NE nevada,NW Utah or southern Idaho is reading this please sign up and say hi.

very interested in people with small businesses and cottage crafts

its all very well for me and others to be talking about developing the trade

for our little piece of freedom but it isnt going to happen unless we first

learn what skills and resources our neighbors have.

so please drop in list your websites, bloggs, internet stores etc

if need be i can host a simple html page for you if you have nothing else.

if you have not yet moved to the area thats ok as long as your not some big

business selling junk made in china.

https://www.swordmaking.com/forum/index.php

chowan
    Participant

BUMP

not sure if this will bump but ill give it a go

still here still wanting to build a village but this is hard country

and i have seen many many abandoned homesteads and know of a couple personally

that have left the area.

this is hard country but also beautifull and free

if there is anyone still interested in the area let me know

Pahana Tribe
    Participant

Hi Chowan.

I been following your posts for sometime and haven’t said much because A: It took quite some time to read all the interactions, watch your awesome videos on you tube and get a feel for whats happening. B: My wife and I are still contemplating Texas & Alabama due to inexpensive land prices, easy building codes and close work nearby.

That said I recently stumbled across a build idea for your community income and a possible solution to your pub dilemma.

First this is the build idea.

Quoted From My Page:

This is a absolutely brilliant idea and from a bug out perspective/ Two of these units could be made in a acorn shape and loaded on a simple flat bed trailer. I say two because one could be used as a kitchen / bath and the other as a bedroom. With a bit of enhanced creativity they could even be camouflaged and with a simple winch or block and tackle placed in a treeline and used as a temporary retreat or emergency bug out.

The main advantage I see is portability and even in a stable economic environment I can see this design as being desirable for vacations, wild life observation and if portable like a trailer fitting into a hole in the building code for people buying new properties that need time to build a new home.

Kudos Joel Allen for a awesome idea and wonderful craftsmanship

hemloft7.jpg

https://naturalhomes.org/hemloft.htm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6ONLyd2gmV8#t=2s[/youtube]

As you can see these could be fabricated fairly easy and sold or placed in your two land areas as a getaway, intro to off grid living or simple vacation spot generating income for you and the community fairly easily.

Pub Dilemma: Have you considered a Fraternal Organization or Membership Only pub. I am not quite sure of Nev laws however I have been from East to West Coast and many States have private clubs where a member pays a small yearly club membership as little as 12.00 a year in some I have seen and fall under a entirely different set of requirements.

Many Fraternal organizations such as Eagles, Moose and VFW also utilize private memberships to get around the Public Use issues and often support a not for profit organization (Community or Group)

Some are simply clubs like in Maine for instance in a small city called Lewiston the main street is filled with these small clubs. Depending on bylaws they allow guests so many visitors are signed in by a member to explore memberships and the values or charity the club supports.

I am only 5 hrs or so from you in Carbon County Utah and would love to visit you sometime just to meet, greet and tip a cold one. But I did want to get these ideas into your head for review :)

Hope these thoughts help get the wheels turning.

Best Regards: Mark

Dust
    Participant

your last post seems very downbeat, defeatist…I think I can understand as I have tried to help two off grid communities get off the ground and it’s the same story…many people come and contribute nothing, have no commitment, want everything handed to them, have no money for even personal use and that is usually a big problem regarding massive tobacco and alcohol and other addictions…and of course they lie to you in endless emails about themselves until they get there…

plus you’ve chosen a particularly hard geography…much harder than my two failed experiences in the beautiful north carolina blue ridge mountains AND the central piedmont of virginia

both are still going…limping along…dozens of people including supposedly hardened combat vets have come and gone…most aimlessly…if I ask for people with some assets or money to help with bills in any posts I make, then I am attacked and called a ripoff and slave labor camp

just wondering what you’ve encountered?? And having followed you in your videos as has Mark above, I know you are hard-working, creative and resourceful…so is it the land that has been your cruel mistress or just the failure of any decent people to actually help you?? Would love some detail either on this post or privately at matapeake at hushmail dot com

Both of my friend’s off grid attempts at community are still operational, tho barely so if any rare off-grid wanna be is interested, contact me…tho I’ve kinda given up on people too…one is a mountainside 10 acre hidden retreat in nw north carolina in the blue ridge mountains off the radar and probably a great hidden spot to sit out the collapse…has been some serious veterans there…the other is an 84 acre old tobacco farm also off the beaten path in south central virginia owned by a lady farmer struggling…she’s had a couple dozen people come and go…does have some electric & phone and internet and running well water tho…both spots primitive

it’s very late in the game now…serious SHTF within days, weeks or at most a few months if we are extremely lucky

best to you chowan

mike

Pahana Tribe
    Participant

Hi Mike. I have lived off grid many times via RV (Been camping most of my life) and albeit I have yet to create a community I have spent some time boon docking with others and I have started a few churches here and there (Minster).

The one constant I have noted is that mindset and beliefs need to be assessed very early on in order to survive as a group for any extended time. And most of all the willingness to agree to disagree when differences do eventually come up.

In a group living situation privacy and the commitment to avoid gossip is probably the one thing I have noticed really rips communal arrangements apart. I am a 70’s child and spent a great deal of time living with friends in a crash pad setting and later on boon docking with other campers.

No matter if they are churches, camping groups or crash pad hippies it was always the little differences that festered through seemingly insignificant gossips and rumors. Judgement of other based on beliefs or philosophies are always going to happen but whispers are truly destructive.

The best groups I have encountered spoke openly, freely and agreed to see things differently. I have always respected a person who can say what they mean no matter what because you know where they stand vs. a sugar coating back talker. :)

As far as lazy, well it does seem to be a plague these days lol. Loyalty and commitment to the group or family can over come that but most of the time its that lack of respect, inclusion, listening and communication that makes them feel like a outsider vs. family and the desire to become a part slowly dwindles away.

I noticed most successful groups listen to everyone, make it a point to pen and paper all suggestion no matter how crazy they sound, reinforce self esteem of the individuals and include everyone in the decision making process.

It takes a strong individual to lead a loving and caring community and guide the group and at times convince others to try the insane ideas. When someone like that leads everyone feels included, everyone feels like part of the groups direction and love and appreciation is a truly motivating factor.

Charisma has something to do with it but more people follow when they feel like they are part, loved, appreciated, respected and equal. The poison is the we was here first, we have tried that before and failed, we are the senior members and the general run it by me first attitude.

A group grows when the we is dropped the I takes a step back and the you is given a chance. I have personally witnessed many situations that have been tried before and failed become successful because the person making the suggestion was trusted and received the support they needed to succeed.

Knowing its failed before but you are sure you can do better is quite motivational but when fused with support for your ability, desire to succeed and encouragement the outcome can be changed. After all there is a good chance if it failed before it will fail again but if the participants avoid the pitfalls that caused the previous failure (learning by mistakes) but keep up the faith and support… and it does succeed, the new comer now has proved his worth, feels like he/she contributed and over came a obstacle with family.

When we walk through adversity together, climb mountains side by side and overcome seemingly impossible odds it become the cement that binds us. And the leaders confidence in the new comer to give you a shot at what seemed likely to fail plants loyalty.

Not only to the leader but all the family members who supported him / her in the endeavor. A village can succeed and a community can become a family if you look it at like a family and trust, love and support.

Sorry if this rambled a bit just felt I had to toss that out there for meditation lol.

chowan
    Participant

Sorry if my last post seemed defeatist it was not meant that way

at all i was just trying to give a reality check to those who may

not be ready and prepared.

mark if you read this i got your email and ill have a good look at it

today but i might have accidentaly deleted your reg.

Mike i love the country it is hard but that is one of the things that

appeals to me.An old local told me how many people come to the area

to live cheaply off grid and that most only make it the first winter

then they take off to warmer climes.

ill tell you what kicked my but this summer was vermin, pack rats and mice

destroyed my garden and small hawks ate my young chickens.

puppymama
    Participant

i have chihuhua/yorkie mix puppies. they seem to be a good “guard dog” that is low maintenance.  however hawks are a problem for small dogs. small terriers were prized for hunting rats originally in england. hope this comment helps

dunewalker
    Participant

Chowan, I’m your neighbor to the west–the other side of Nevada, that is, along the Nv/Ca border, about same latitude, a bit lower in elevation at 4,500 feet, in a valley instead of on the mountainside.  Last summer the vermin pretty much destroyed all my gardening attempts, along with severe drought. The woodrats are the worst here, you even have to keep the hoods up on the trucks or they move into the engine overnight. I think with the hood up it doesn’t feel as secure to them from owls, etc.  I put buckets of water out, as traps, catch some, but  realize that the best defense is removing all habitat, cover for the rodents. Like woodpiles, anything they can hide in & under.  My firewood is stacked outside, in rounds,  one round width x 4ft high, 24 ft long = 1 cord.  This prevents the rodents from getting in the wood piles, as coyotes can patrol up & down each row.  Next growing season I’m thinking of doing it all in a rodent-proof greenhouse attached to my cabin–maybe a small, intense space might be more effective.  My dog is a 90 pound shepherd who loves to scrounge for rats & mice, he’s big enough that the coyotes don’t threaten him.  A small dog wouldn’t last long here, dunno about your area.

Your videos are very inspiring but tire me out just watching them!   I’ve been here almost 11 years now & take a pretty relaxed approach to projects…

chowan
    Participant

hi puppymomma yep small dogs and cats around here have to be watched very carefully my friend lost

cats to he thinks owls and ive personally seen wolves which was very exciting but does reinforce

the fact that it is very remote country.

dunewalker my plan to combat the vermin is 2 fold im going to grow as much as i can in raised pots that they

cannot climb into and i am going to start trapping much earlier to try and whack the population

before it explodes again.my young chickens are just going to have to stay in the pen more untill they are larger

i normally let them free range 24/7 but this didnt work this year.

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Hi chowan,

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I’m also your neighbor.. I  have 10 acres about 10-15 minutes from Montello, that will be used for my Homestead.. Hopefully I can get to building my small cabin/home this summer.. Coming from Idaho my whole life there is no winter I can’t handle lol…  Thought I’d just drop in and say Hi and hope to meet like-minded people like me..

chowan
    Participant

Hi Boophaty the thread isnt that active but Im still around and others. Which way do you head from montello to get to your place?
    I look forward to meeting sometime.

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Hello chowan,

I’m actually  just about 8 miles heading south from  Montello.. I purchased the property the first part of the year and was suppose to drive up yesterday for the weekend, but things came up that stopped me…  How long have you been homesteading there?  What could you tell me was your biggest hurdle to overcome? Did you dig a well or have you been capturing rain? I’m very excited to start living my dream and I look forward to meeting you as well.. Have a great day.   Eric

chowan
    Participant

ive been here about 2 years now  i have planned to just catch rain water but i do have access to a sweet spring and a well about a mile away

when it comes to hauling water.later I may dig a well but im in no hurry.

biggest hurdle is having some form of income not a lot of work around here unless you bring it with you next biggest hurdle has been

vermin like pack rats mice and chipmunks.Winter this year was a little extreme (maybee? old timers talk about worse) and access has been

a major issue for me since December last year it has only just got decent in the last 2 weeks.if your not too far from 233 you should not have much trouble though.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.