MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion My Off Grid Life, The Good And The Bad

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  bwingler 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

bwingler
    Participant

My off grid life started 5.5 years ago in the southwest arizona desert, I was married then with 2 kids, was married for 20 years. Things were good at first but a hard life, we started with 36 acres and a small 12 volt off grid power system, had to haul our water and that was a everyday chore. Saved up enough money to finally have a well drilled, life was great! Then in July of 2014 my wife decided she didn’t want to be married no longer and we got divorced, Our daughter was 18 and my son was 10. She moved on to town and we share custody of our son.

Sept of 2014 i got super ill and lost about 45 percent of my lungs, thank god i have the VA. I didn’t give up the desert farmstead and have since had to do some changes from my orginal plans. Since i am unable to work like i use to i decided on giving up most of my livestock, i sold my sheep herd, horses and donkeys. I down sized to what i can handle alone out here. I had put in 2 fish ponds where i raise tilapia and catfish, have 3 grow tunnels and a decent aguaponics system.

I have since upgraded my off grid power system to 1kw of solar panels, 5kw pure sine wave inverter, 690 amp hour battery bank, 900 watt wind generator and a 7kw propane generator. I also changed my system from 12 volts to 24 volts.

I live in a tiny home that is 576 square feet, 24 x 24 it has 3 small bedrooms, bathroom, living room and a kitchen. I use a propane fridge, cook stove, chest freezer and a tankless propane water heater. I have a swamp cooler that keeps the house comfortable on hot days.

I did purchase an old ford 8n tractor with several implements to do the work that the horses and donkeys did. So all in all it has been a good life even with the ups and downs and i guess it is still worth doing it. I am now 57 years old and still off gridding and thriving. Maybe one day i will met a nice lady that wants to share the dream.

bwingler
    Participant

I have a wonderful lady, i just felt somewhat excluded from her plans at times, she purchased a home and we are planning on a move back east, tho we won’t be off grid any longer so it will be a change living in town, I met her her on off grid living, it is Desert Deb.

bwingler
    Participant

If you are thinking of going off grid it is very doable, there will be triumphs an failures, the best advice i can offer is stay the course thru the good and bad, and it doesn’t hurt to have a partner that sticks with you regardless. Deb and I both seen some very lean and hard times and we have also seen some very good times, and looking back at pictures over the past few years i will have to say that most of it was very good times, it wasn’t because we had much but we had each other.

We are both sad to leave our off grid farmstead life, but with my health not being real good it is time for us to start a new chapter in life, Small Town USA.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.