Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion my journal on progress for getting off the grid

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    puppymama
    Participant

OK, have a small monthly income, have a digital camera, some construction experience

i appreciate the comments and links. i still have a lot to learn.

camping allows me to travel, save some money, get a small property.

i will go to wordpress.com and see about an acct

puppymama
    Participant

ok, have acct. will work on getting it up and pretty  as soon as possible. thank you caverdude for the suggestion.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Here is one woman’s off grid odyssey from Mother Earth News in 2005;

https://www.motherearthnews.com/green-homes/building-an-earthship-zmaz05zhol.aspx

puppymama
    Participant

thank you for the link, i will check it out and bookmark it. currently dealing with vehicle license, car license, and of course new tires. insurance was surprisingly affordable both vehicle and my personal property. i do have an income, it’s just small so i have to make good choices and save for things i want.

Zathris
    Participant

Another good resource for you might be the Yahoo Group “Vandwellers”. These are people who like you live a simple life style in their vans/rv’s/cars.

https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VanDwellers/

puppymama
    Participant

thank you, joined the yahoo group. for me, living in a vehicle and camping is a step in the process. i have long looked at things like alternative energy (solar, wind, water), in michigan we had a couple of underground homes, and i thought they were absolutely great. spent many a day diagramming how i would arrange/set up a potential underground home. since i went from a tent to a travel trailer to a class a 30′ motorhome in a single season without debt or begging, i know that it is just a matter of setting my mind to it. i am looking at several of the types of dwellings mentioned on here. tiny house catches my interest. i am also looking at saving up about $8k and looking to see what i can pick up at an auction. location is very important to be for health reasons,

if i purchase a property at auction that has a building on it, then it is about converting it to the type of life i want, sustainable, energy efficient. i really do lean toward solar, but in michigan, a 12 foot high windmill would have generated sufficient energy when combined with a woodstove. many people think limited income means no ability to make changes. to me it just means saving, scrimping, making smart choices so that each dollar does it’s full work, just like anyone else

puppymama
    Participant

follow up note to previous post. i had my tent and camping gear when i started. my travel trailer was $500 . i paid that in two months before taking possession of it. i sold it for $300 and bought a 30.5 foot long Midas Class A Motorhome (1978) for $1200, paid off in three months. since it was problematic, i ended up scrapping it the next year for $550. so my years living cost $1400 plus what i paid to park and store the motorhome. pretty cheap for a learning experience. the motorhome was to be lived in when i bought property while i fixed it up.

puppymama
    Participant

I am getting a low mileage rv approx feb 1. I will be looking at solar power options for that as well as dealing w waste most eco friendly. Regards.

offthegridinok
    Participant

you can use blogspot to create a simple blog, no experience required I use it but bought a domain to point to in http://www.solarcabin.org  Blogspot is great way to start a blog.  No I dont get money for advertising them but I like to KISS (keep it simple stupid).  I am no WordPress expert I tried before I used blogspot.  let them get the headaces and I just post my articles.  (rofl)  Hope this helps

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.