MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion mini split a/c (inverter type or regular compressor?)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nicoleweems8935 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jasonw
    Participant

I am looking to upgrade my 10K BTU window unit in my off-grid cabin to a mini split system. I am comparing the 2 different types of mini splits. Some use inverter technology in the compressor and some are conventional on/off compressors.

The tech specs don’t show exactly how different the operating efficiency of the units are (only what the specs are at an instance).

Does anyone have any info on whether the inverter types are better for offgrid use? I am of course running the unit off a mod sin inverter (Xantrex RV3012)

TIA

Jason

elnav

Jason I would try and determine which type of conpressor is found in each design. The sales people will not likely know so go to the repair facility if you cand find who it is and ask their tech what kind is used. Danfoss brand has a reputation for being the most efficient type of compressor. When I was messing around with driving air conditioners using inverters I discovered I could more easily start a unit by sequencing the compressor and the evaporator fan with a short delay between the two. When the manufacturer heard about this they decided to incorporate this in their own controllers. while specifying AC for yachts I also learned scroll compressors are more efficient and has lower start surge than piston compressors. However I do not know if such compressors are available for under two to units.

the inverter type design is intended mainly for applications wher the power supply is likely to fluctuate greatly. Since you are already providing power from an inverter ther is little to be gained. Other issues are more significant in terms of power saving. The internal inverter will likely introduce additional losses which may or may not be cancelled by inproved compressor technology.

dmcgill1
    Participant

I am looking for a Xantrex RV3012GS. I also have a Hatachi Mini split for sale. E-Mail: dmcgill1@cox.net

elnav

@dmcgill

why that specific model inverter?

I am looking to upgrade my 10K BTU window unit in my off-grid cabin to a mini split system.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.