Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion looking to join an OTG person or community

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rollins
    Participant

I am considering living off the grid but I don’t want to do it alone. I currently live in Tampa Fl, I am a normal single guy w a chihuahua. I am looking to team up with open minded people. I believe we should all be free from government intrusion as long as we don’t hurt anyone else. I would like to join a like minded person or community to learn the ways of OTG. I think our world is changing for the worst, and I would like to be able to take care of myself and others who are part of the community. I believe in the 2nd amendment, being free, LGBT, I smoke and drink beer socially. I have my own SUV, I am skilled in construction, some mechanics, gardening, as well as a few more skills. I am not looking to live off of anyone nor do I want anyone looking to live off of me. If anyone knows of a self sustaining community or want to start one please email me. rollinstoned0@gmail.com

caverdude
    Participant

Well,  You need to figure out what Off-Grid means to you. As for a community there is a earth ship housing development in Taos New Mexico which is like a housing development with restrictions. Otherwise a person could always buy a piece of land and then sell off parcels with restrictions under contract. This would/could create an off grid community within the subdivision for example. The same concept is where people go together to buy a larger parcel of land and split it, with written contracts. This saves on cost per acre.

https://blog.larrydgray.net

rollins
    Participant

Hey Carverdude, I saw the documentary about the Earth ships, and it intrigued me very much. I am very new to this, so please comment with any ideas or experience.

Dustoffer
    Participant

Earthships are the coolest most green living of all.  Certainly better than blogging out of a solar powered trailer!

I too am very experienced in the trades and was able to use tricks devised and learned to make it more stable, stronger, and a little easier.

Go back a few pages to Pockets of Freedom and study those links.  Go to the public library and study the Earthship books (I, II, III). and study the Real Goods Solar Living Source Book, and any other books on solar and other alternative energy systems.

When you choose an area and get land, then shop around for the best deals on all the materials you will eventually need, while working locally in a trade and scavenging more materials.   I did mine after work, on weekends, holidays, lay off periods, for three years of B-busting work that takes a real man to do.  My wife and young son were great helpers, and somehow knew what we were doing was good.

A power greater than myself led me  and gave me strength with commanding purpose.

Any questions, just ask,>>> after the recommended reading.<<<<     mgopilot at g mail

caverdude
    Participant

Living off-grid without money means possibly lowering your standard of living a lot. With money it may mean lowering your standard of living a little. First free yourself from debt. Second look into permaculture which is mainly gardening and homesteading very close into your house and possibly in your house. Its also poly-cropping vs. mono-cropping. That is similar to companion planting. For example native Americans grew corn, beans and squash together.  Some animals and insects are beneficial in gardening. Manures are needed in gardening. This is horticulture basically. I’m not off-grid from the food system at all. But I dream about it. My career puts me on the food system nearly 100%. Read my articles at https://blog.larrydgray.net which may give you some ideas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.