MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion looking to go off grid once again

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  beast 4 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

quil04
    Participant

live in north central Wa right now and hoping to set up once again off grid. There is me  wife and 2 daughters. finances are fixed and am renting right now. however do make enough to live comfortably,but not enough to purchase land at the moment. however have looked into rent to own and private financing  with no luck so far. now reason i have posted here is because hope fully i will find a opportunity here in some way shape or form. either co partnership with like minded, will invest  with my skills and somewhat finances to help out in a community, or possible relocate idea’s. now i am a  northern mountain man so Wa, Id, Mt in the mountains are what i would look into for idea’s. Cant handle the heat so wouldn’t live south and lived in eastern US and realized no  Mountains east other then hills. no offence to eastern living  just aint for me.

i bring to the table right now a 4×4 with a plow, chainsaws underground housing plans in my head which i lived in for some years, as well different off grid ideas from solar, water powered to gasifier planning. as well security planning for safety.

Cahow
    Participant

So, if I may, what happened the 1st time you went off grid? I’m basing my question on your subject title.

quil04
    Participant

one of the biggest factors of living of grid is sicknesses that are or may of been  caused by living on grid at one time or another while you were living on grid. well just wait contamination in the country in todays world is a direct result from herbicides pesticides and industrial pollution as well so with that.

I was off grid for about 3 yrs and my wife while pregnant attracted cancer into her life. in the olden days my grandmother use to talk of the yew membrain and how to cook it. yet because of our way of thinking (being conditioned to modern medicine) now a days and not being forced into totally having to depend on the old methods of curing diseases we had to move where we could counter the disease using today’s methods. It became very expensive and we had to sell most of our of f grid equipment and housing to help pay for what the modern day medications cost us.

Cahow
    Participant

Oh, quil04, I’m so sorry to hear what happened to you and your wife. I’m wishing your family the BEST of success in reconnecting with your dream of going off grid, again. Thanks for sharing your story.

lawrence
    Participant

are you into the nor cal area

quil04
    Participant

.I see lawrence you asked me if i was interested in north cal?  Due to the gun restrictions in Ca and the far fetched laws from what i hear from my sister down by Porterville Ca more so Springville, i am not that interested in relocating down in cal (plus i cant handle the heat lol). A friend wanted me to help him get set up in the Gaylord Mich area and i did for about 7 months yet the flat land and sand mites i had a little problem with. mostly the flat and sandy water swamped land. couldn’t handle such. Him and his family love it there and wants me to reconsider but like i stated before i am a mountain man. In all my travels i find there is more security and filtering processing for water filtration in the mountains then anywhere else.
    Wa , not only has very little population, the gun laws are rather laxed.  Montana would be more to my liking due to the rockies but  Wa has a rather quaint atmosphere  in it’s hills further from the ocean that i like. Love to live in Alaska yet because of the wife the lower northern 48 will have to do.As far as Canada goes, it is out of the question due to it’s strict gun laws.
    Security for my family is the utmost importance to me. Not only do i have Family in both the Canadian and American armed forces but i also have family on the other end of the spectrum as well that has little to no trust in either “Corporations” as most know as Countries.
    My family are neither drinkers or smoke the herb. well me and my wife don’t but yet, i yet to see someone to tell me no they are not affiliated in any way shape of form with someone that doe’s use to some extent. My personal believes is as long as one can control one’s actions on either drinking or toking , more power to them. the harder drugs i do have a problem with if someone is a user.
    we are not religious yet spiritual but do not practice spirituality to the extent it runs our live’s.
    I was fortunate enough to own my own truck and trailer so i traveled all of north america. and spent about 17 yrs in the oil patch in the Arctic from working on oil and service rigs to moving them. As well born and raised on a farm and use to guide for California big horn, black bear , cougar , white and mule deer, so yes i know my way around in the hills pretty good.
    Now the question i ask you Lawrence,  how dedicated are you to your location, and are you set to keep living there or are you  open to other idea’s and locations.

beast
    Participant

quil, how old are you and your family?
    how far off-grid are you wanting to go?

quil04
    Participant

well a few more sleeps and i can say i seen 50 gregorian yrs go by like it was but a flash, but like my ex father-in-law about 10 yrs ago said i was just a kid still lol…he was 104 yrs young and still checking his trap line in the arctic when i knew him. my wife of 10 yrs is two yrs younger so i told her if i am young i must of robbed her from the cradle.

my grandmother when i was around 8 yrs old sent me into the hills for a week with just my 30 30, knife and a box of shells and i lived pretty comfortable so if i could live to some extent like wise with just a little of the modern day tools (chainsaw, truck, certain metals) that will help in my building of a comfortable home and certain processed foods, especially coffee and i think i could live with that. now my wife and kids that is another matter, my wife is from Greece and she had a hard time adapting to solar power and generators with a outhouse so i will be working on more comfortable settings this time mind you when we finally had to leave the place she was pretty comfortable with it too because she did have a fridge,stove, king size bed, tv and beautiful fire place and a adobe stove so i will set something like that up again.the place i built was a split level underground dwelling about 2000 sq ft with a 350 sq ft root cellar attached to it. the dwelling had 7 windows with gable coverings over them with dirt on top of the gables and 1 inch steel plates that could slide over the windows and lock into place if ever need be.there is a little more to it then just what i put down but it was pretty comfortable like i stated.

beast
    Participant

you sound like me…lol
    damned women anyways, always gotta have the easy life…lol
    all i need is my bowie and im good to go most places i might land
    quick shelter just takes a day or two to make
    then ya build for winter…lol
    you and i should talk sometime

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.