MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion looking for people to go in on buying a parcel of land in wisconsin

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  rmferber 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

rmferber

We are a young family who have been hoping and planning our off-grid homestead/ecovillage/community for a while and we are ready to do it, we want to move out this spring, we have been looking at real estate in Wisconsin since November and there are several parcels that we find very appealing. We have saved up some money and are looking for people who also have some money to contribute and want to pool our resources to buy a larger parcel than any of us would be able to get on our own. We have been looking predominantly at areas that are in hardiness zone 4 or 5, which mostly is southwestern Wisconsin (the driftless region) or the very tip of the peninsula near Bayfield. We know that there are good communities of alternative lifestyle people in both places. We are also open to continuing to search a little more for a property that everyone agrees on. We have been looking at places that are at least 20 acres and definitely less than $75,000. Ideally I look for places that are no more than $2,000 per acre and I would prefer less, but I want to be able to grow things. I would love running water on the site, a spring or stream or something, but if there isn’t any we could just dig ponds. We are probably open to moving to parts of Michigan, especially the upper peninsula, or other places that aren’t too far from Omaha, Nebraska (my family is here), but we would rather go north than south due to global warming. One site that we have been looking at is here:

http://www.landwatch.com/Bayfield-County-Wisconsin-Land-for-sale/pid/120819772

this property also has 2 adjacent properties of slightly under 30 acres each and is in a very neat climate. It’s pretty far north, but not super cold because of the lake. It gets a lot of snow but that helps insulate plants that might not otherwise make it. We like the idea of being so close to so much freshwater (lake superior) and there are a great deal of organic farms in the area.

We are into permaculture. I would love to hire a permaculture consultant and/or take some classes about it to have some help designing a small eco-village/community on the land that we choose.

Obviously there is too much to say all in one post, but I just thought I would throw a line out there and see if there are any other people on the same page as us. If we could get five or six more families/people who can each throw in around $10,000 we could get a good sized piece of land and not have to worry about covenants or awful neighbors. I mean, it is a tremendously big job to find people with whom you would want to spend the rest of your life, but I kind of feel like most people who want to live off grid are people I would like to be around. We don’t have to share toothbrushes to share a stream or even team of workhorses or a tool shed.

rmferber

http://wisconsinhomes.com/listing/1599360

this was another property that I thought looked interesting. Slopes and hills are very useful for a lot of permaculture designs, because you can use the force of gravity to do a lot of work for you!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.