MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion looking for like-minded people to live off-grid in Georgia area

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Senorcoconut 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

lorenzop
    Participant

I’m looking into living off-grid in Georgia or a nearby state. I’m a programmer and electronics hobbyist with some experience in construction and hydroponics. I would like to find wooded land with water nearby in the Georgia or Alabama area, or a nearby state. solar/wind/water for power and a small computer to manage the house. I’d like to build a cob or tire house with a rocket heater. I’m saving what I can and have a few things I can liquidate. a room-mate/partner could be very helpful in terms of finding and buying land, and I know I can’t expect to know everything myself. much of this way of living has been lost to time, but a good life is still possible with some effort.

this guy is awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rM7QDi_5E one of my dreams is to live on my own farm. another of my dreams is a modular home automation program, which I’ve been designing for years. my software uses plugins, which can be easily customized, and can run on a low power computer. things like water supply, heating, lighting, and aquaponics can be managed by the computer. few things will still need 120 volt, so a quality inverter can be used, but 12 volt can be used where possible. low power led lights can be hand made and very efficient, and could be built into the building with conduits. efficient light dimmers are easy and cheap to make for low voltage lighting. I plan to invest in a camper refrigerator with a 12 volt hookup, which I estimate 8-10 amps when on. I wonder if this type of fridge could be run on a wood burning stove using a solid copper heat pipe. a pump is likely needed for aquaponics, but could be sacrificed to run intermittent when power reserves are low.

a few animals and the house on around 5 acres. live smart and cheap. I currently live in the north east, but would like to move south. looking to make connections online, while I save and prepare.

lorenzop
    Participant

a few things I’d like to mention, may be important but unclear in my post. I plan to give myself 1-2 years to prepare. my goal is to be living off-grid full time before the end of 2015. once I commit to buying land, I plan to have enough saved up to not need a supporting income, or a low pay part time job if needed. any free time I have after farming and building, I’m usually programming. I’ve worked to rid my current life style of stress, but it still seems to get in the way of my love for code. I don’t feel love or nature where I’m at. all signs point to this goal.

sn00zer
    Participant

Do you currently live in Georgia.

I live just outside of Atlanta and would be interested in talking to you a bit more about your plan.

I’m also a developer/programmer and do a fair amount of “tinkering” with microcontrollers and such.

Scott
    Participant

The camper 12 volt dc/propane refrigerator uses to much power. The last one I tested used 5 amps an hour 24 hours a day.  At 12 volts the best fridge I have found is a compressor type.  2.5 amps when running and only runs 8 hours out of a day.  By adding extra insulation to the exterior you can cut that running time in half.  If you are wanting a full size fridge most are going with a standard ac energy-efficient fridge and using an inverter. For what you save on the cost of an ac fridge you can buy a lot of solar panels to help run it.

I have not used a fridge for 8 years now.  Ground temperature is cold enough that a hole in the ground keeps everything cold. I do miss not having a freezer during the summer.

lorenzop
    Participant

The camper 12 volt dc/propane refrigerator uses to much power. The last one I tested used 5 amps an hour 24 hours a day. At 12 volts the best fridge I have found is a compressor type. 2.5 amps when running and only runs 8 hours out of a day. By adding extra insulation to the exterior you can cut that running time in half. If you are wanting a full size fridge most are going with a standard ac energy-efficient fridge and using an inverter. For what you save on the cost of an ac fridge you can buy a lot of solar panels to help run it.

after a bit more research on my part, you’re right. I made a few assumptions which turn out to be wrong about rv refrigerators. it does appear they’re only cost effective if you’re using propane. maybe more direct solar heating or wood burning could work, but not ideas I’m ready to venture into. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. glad I haven’t spent money on one yet.

Do you currently live in Georgia.

I live just outside of Atlanta and would be interested in talking to you a bit more about your plan.

I’m also a developer/programmer and do a fair amount of “tinkering” with microcontrollers and such.

I live in pennsylvania, but I’m strongly considering moving south, possibly to your state. I have much more reading to do before a decide on a location. I’d love to have a chat some time, especially if you have similar goals and interests. can’t find how to send you a pm. I’m always on irc, I have a few instant messengers, or facebook.

sn00zer
    Participant

You can get in touch via email if you’d like jason.warford (at) gmail (dot) com

daveoff-grid
    Participant

Hello you said you would give your self 1-2 years so I’ll try and see if this is still a active post

I too am very interested in liveing off grid with my own created power grid and I am searching for locations.. Witch seems to be the hardest part.. Anyways have you considered stepping it up little more than that? I feel like your thinking too small.. Or at lest i figure if I’d do it I would try for “commercial sized” equipment  like if you can get a natural gas  well (free gas) then you can run a natural gas generator upping your power output. haveing enough power to do whatever you want. Have a indoor small garden all year around? How amazing is that…if you don’t like natural gas idea theres always the old school water turbine… Witch I will have both when I fine a location. Hit me up  if you want to talk sometime or  anyone else that has the same ideals dave_iii_101@yahoo.com I’m also from pa

lorenzop
    Participant

I’ll always reply as long as the site is online and I keep getting emails. years keep going by and I’m in no better shape than the year before. I’d like to avoid being in debt to a bank, but it may be some time until I’m financially able to do what I want. I cannot wait to wake up one morning on a cob bench and build a fire to make breakfast, and no longer have a list of bills.

one thing I would love to do is start an off-grid internet provider. being off-grid, one of the only bills I’d have left is a large one for internet access (I pay extra to host servers on it.) if I could find an existing off-grid community which would let me join in exchange for my ability to do this, might be a good way to go.

SpiritOnEarth
    Participant

Hi… Wondering if you found the land/situation you were looking for. We are also looking to move off grid in the southern Georgia area, and are just being our search for the acreage. Have been in the ‘planning’ stages for off-grid living for a couple of years now, and are hoping to make the move this summer.

Dust
    Participant

There’s a struggling off-grid group in SouthCentral Virginia on 84 acres…heavily wooded, near amish farms, nice small town 18 minutes away…have large unfinished cabin and smaller shacks, wood heat, limited electricity moving towards solar…rabbits, donkeys, some poultry…has been an intentional community in the past with RVers there…now just two single people looking for like-minded to join them

liam20011949at yahoo dot com

ratnomore
    Participant

I’m looking for the same.  I have a bit of cash saved up, but want to find a few others who can throw in with me.   I’m interested in the northeast part of AL or north GA.  I keep getting this site (offgridnet) in the search results but every time I come here to find people, it seems like people post but don’t answer comments or follow through.  I’m ready to talk to people who are ready to do this.    go2monica@hotmail.com…

ravenv12
    Participant

Hello I’m in Georgia near the fl state line I’m just curious has anybody here done anything off grid or knows of any communities that are in Georgia. Would love to know me and my wife are selling pretty much everything in our house and saving up money to buy a house and some land

Hoobie
    Participant

I am also very interested in this. A community of tiny houses with people working together to grow organic food and help each other would be great. I’m open to just about any option, but have had enough of the game the elite have tricked us into playing. The people can take the power back if they dropped ’em completely. I feel like I work for Satan since I work for the film industry. I’m done.

Senorcoconut
    Participant

I love the idea of tiny house communities, also one of my dreams…  we are now planing for a piece of land close to NYC that will be a mix of tiny houses, hobbit holes, tree houses and yurt type living all around an art workshop/makerspace. Good luck to you and keep us updated please,  for more info Look at this project here.  We could exchange some ideas and learn from each others mistakes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.