Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion looking for like-minded people to live off-grid in Georgia area

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lorenzop
    Participant

I’m looking into living off-grid in Georgia or a nearby state. I’m a programmer and electronics hobbyist with some experience in construction and hydroponics. I would like to find wooded land with water nearby in the Georgia or Alabama area, or a nearby state. solar/wind/water for power and a small computer to manage the house. I’d like to build a cob or tire house with a rocket heater. I’m saving what I can and have a few things I can liquidate. a room-mate/partner could be very helpful in terms of finding and buying land, and I know I can’t expect to know everything myself. much of this way of living has been lost to time, but a good life is still possible with some effort.

this guy is awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5rM7QDi_5E one of my dreams is to live on my own farm. another of my dreams is a modular home automation program, which I’ve been designing for years. my software uses plugins, which can be easily customized, and can run on a low power computer. things like water supply, heating, lighting, and aquaponics can be managed by the computer. few things will still need 120 volt, so a quality inverter can be used, but 12 volt can be used where possible. low power led lights can be hand made and very efficient, and could be built into the building with conduits. efficient light dimmers are easy and cheap to make for low voltage lighting. I plan to invest in a camper refrigerator with a 12 volt hookup, which I estimate 8-10 amps when on. I wonder if this type of fridge could be run on a wood burning stove using a solid copper heat pipe. a pump is likely needed for aquaponics, but could be sacrificed to run intermittent when power reserves are low.

a few animals and the house on around 5 acres. live smart and cheap. I currently live in the north east, but would like to move south. looking to make connections online, while I save and prepare.

lorenzop
    Participant

a few things I’d like to mention, may be important but unclear in my post. I plan to give myself 1-2 years to prepare. my goal is to be living off-grid full time before the end of 2015. once I commit to buying land, I plan to have enough saved up to not need a supporting income, or a low pay part time job if needed. any free time I have after farming and building, I’m usually programming. I’ve worked to rid my current life style of stress, but it still seems to get in the way of my love for code. I don’t feel love or nature where I’m at. all signs point to this goal.

sn00zer
    Participant

Do you currently live in Georgia.

I live just outside of Atlanta and would be interested in talking to you a bit more about your plan.

I’m also a developer/programmer and do a fair amount of “tinkering” with microcontrollers and such.

Scott
    Participant

The camper 12 volt dc/propane refrigerator uses to much power. The last one I tested used 5 amps an hour 24 hours a day.  At 12 volts the best fridge I have found is a compressor type.  2.5 amps when running and only runs 8 hours out of a day.  By adding extra insulation to the exterior you can cut that running time in half.  If you are wanting a full size fridge most are going with a standard ac energy-efficient fridge and using an inverter. For what you save on the cost of an ac fridge you can buy a lot of solar panels to help run it.

I have not used a fridge for 8 years now.  Ground temperature is cold enough that a hole in the ground keeps everything cold. I do miss not having a freezer during the summer.

lorenzop
    Participant

The camper 12 volt dc/propane refrigerator uses to much power. The last one I tested used 5 amps an hour 24 hours a day. At 12 volts the best fridge I have found is a compressor type. 2.5 amps when running and only runs 8 hours out of a day. By adding extra insulation to the exterior you can cut that running time in half. If you are wanting a full size fridge most are going with a standard ac energy-efficient fridge and using an inverter. For what you save on the cost of an ac fridge you can buy a lot of solar panels to help run it.

after a bit more research on my part, you’re right. I made a few assumptions which turn out to be wrong about rv refrigerators. it does appear they’re only cost effective if you’re using propane. maybe more direct solar heating or wood burning could work, but not ideas I’m ready to venture into. thanks for pointing me in the right direction. glad I haven’t spent money on one yet.

Do you currently live in Georgia.

I live just outside of Atlanta and would be interested in talking to you a bit more about your plan.

I’m also a developer/programmer and do a fair amount of “tinkering” with microcontrollers and such.

I live in pennsylvania, but I’m strongly considering moving south, possibly to your state. I have much more reading to do before a decide on a location. I’d love to have a chat some time, especially if you have similar goals and interests. can’t find how to send you a pm. I’m always on irc, I have a few instant messengers, or facebook.

sn00zer
    Participant

You can get in touch via email if you’d like jason.warford (at) gmail (dot) com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.