MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Looking For like minded People in New York (Tri-State Area)

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyKorona 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

ValPal
    Participant

Hello, my name is Val I’m from New York City. I’m looking for people here in New York who would like to go off the grid within the next 2 years. It’s been very hard to find anyone especially in this huge busy city. I’m very much into solar power, wind power, hyro-power, gardening/farming, primitive living, and many more but sadly I’m very limited to what I can do since I live in a building with no back yard or anything . Every morning that I get up for work I feel as if I don’t belong into this society, my heart isn’t made for this concrete jungle. I’ve felt like this for many years and I think I need to do this for myself. I know its a lot of hard work but I see myself enjoying it and waking up every morning taking that first morning breath of fresh clean air stepping on to the grass covered with dew, oh man lol I see it all! I do not have a car so if your within the tri-state area that’ll be wonderful. If not maybe we can arrange something. I’m looking to take 2 years or so of organized planning before I/we make a move. I like things to go smoothly and know what ill do before I do it. Also any advice would be great, I’m new to the site and love stories =].

P.S.- I always reply back

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I’m pretty far from you, I’m in far west Texas, but we can still talk about our dreams. :)

If this is something you really REALLY want to do, make it your goal, let nothing come between you and your dream and you can achieve it. You also have to be willing to do what it takes to achieve your goals, don’t wait for things to come to you, actively go out and work at what you want. I can’t tell you how many people I run across who say “I’d love to live like you do, but… I can’t give up _______________” you fill in the blank, they have a fantasy idea of wanting to live off grid, but aren’t willing to take the steps necessary, and sometimes that means stepping out onto a very long limb. When we decided to completely change our lives and make the big move off grid, we moved 500 miles away from our home, family, friends and careers, we left everything behind and took the giant leap to live like we do now, it was scary but we did it, and we didn’t halfway do it, we cut all ties to our old lives when we started our new lives. We still have contact with our family and friends, but we never looked back. I love my life here and couldn’t imagine it any other way, my only regret is not doing this sooner. Don’t let your regret be that you never followed your dream. :)

Wretha

ValPal
    Participant

Thank you for your inspiring words =] . How long have you been off the grid ? How do you get internet connection ? I found someone who wants to go off grid as well we made it our goal to save up and move away. In the mean time I’m doing alot of research and taking many notes. How did you find land? Do you have crops and livestock ?

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Val, my hubby and I have lived in our off grid place since Dec 2007, we have wireless internet (access is not free) in our “neighborhood”. My hubby knew about this area because he had a friend who lived out here 20 something years ago, once he discovered the area, he began to vacation here and always wanted to move here, I don’t disclose my exact (or even inexact) location, I’ll just say it’s in far west Texas. No livestock or crops, unless you count my little garden, I’m still learning about growing out here, it’s much different than where I used to garden, the altitude is much higher, that makes it a challenge to grow many of the foods I used to grow, I’m also learning about the growing season.

Our main goals are to be independent from monthly bills, mainly utility bills and any sort of rent or mortgage. This way if something happens and our source of income is cut or eliminated, we can survive for much longer than we could when we lived in the city and had rent and utility bills, miss a couple of those and see how long it takes to be living on the streets. The main thing we did was to buy very cheaply, that means not buying premium land but taking what would be considered “issues” and making them work for you, for us that meant buying raw property with difficult access, then we built everything ourselves as we could. We started out in a one room cabin, we have built on as we could, mainly using scrap materials, we barter and trade for things. It takes quite a change of mindset to live this way and be happy, we gave up 24 hour stores, gas stations and malls, the tiny community where we live rolls up the sidewalks early, few if anyone goes out after dark, it’s just the way things are here, it’s not bad, it just takes some getting used to and planning ahead.

What is your dream location? Do you like water? Are you attracted to the desert? What about mountains? Do you need lots of human interaction or are you good with your own company for long periods of time? Do you like heat or cold? Do you like lush vegetation or dry arid prickly cactus areas? Figure out what you want, then you can better determine where you would be happy. For us, we like the dry, high desert/mountains with few people, my brother in law loves water (lakes, rivers and ocean) so he wouldn’t be happy here, my sister loves 24 hour stores, malls and such so she wouldn’t be happy here either, for us, we couldn’t imagine living any other way.

Wretha

ValPal
    Participant

My dream location would be somewhere with a stream, grass, trees, open land, a breeze daily, fresh air away from a big city. Where winters aren’t super cold and summers aren’t super hot. I have no idea where that would be lol thats why I’m here maybe someone can help. It would be cool to be with another person but I’m pretty sure I can do it on my own.

Amanda80
    Participant

Hey Valpal I may not be able to help you, but you have all my best wishes for you to escape the concrete jungle of NYC and find a nice place to live off grid. Hopefully you will find someone who can be a follower and partner to you. God bless you!

ValPal
    Participant

Oh thank you Amanda =] Really appreciate it. Its tough here in the city !

carnold03
    Participant

Hi Val. I figure this thread is probably ancient, but I sent you an email a few days ago. I’m another NYC resident definitely interested in learning more about off grid living before making my own transition.

ValPal
    Participant

Hey Arnold, I Emailed you back twice.

centralpafarm
    Participant

ValPal

My dream location would be somewhere with a stream, grass, trees, open land, a breeze daily, fresh air away from a big city. Where winters aren’t super cold and summers aren’t super hot. I have no idea where that would be lol thats why I’m here maybe someone can help. It would be cool to be with another person but I’m pretty sure I can do it on my own.

Posted 1 year ago #

check out my farm here further south in central pa so its warmer than NY state

http://directory.ic.org/22661/Central_Pa_Mountain_farm___for_Hip_open_minded_people

freelife
    Participant

Hey Val! I’m karl. Just joined the site. I’ve made it my goal to make it to off the grid living in the next couple of years or asap. Hell I would drop the lap top right now and go if It was realistic. Any way I live on long island for most of my life and I want out! If you have already been going at this for a year you are WAY ahead of me with numbers and ideas. If its not to much trouble I would love to hear some of the things you have come up with or have already started doing. My main thing so far is aquaponics project I’m doing indoors for this winter in my bed room and im setting up a larger one for the summers using koi. looking into biofuels from algae, solar water heating using long pipes and parabolic reflectors, energy alternatives ect. Any way I would love to hear what you have learned if you would care to indulge me. My E-mail is Kfriedl@ymail.com

carnold03
    Participant

Val, Good to read that you contacted me. Sorry to say, but it maybe that either my eyes never recognized it or spam filters killed it. Try sending one more email with the subject “Replying to forum posting” without the quotations. I have a filter that will direct the email to my inbox. Again sorry for the lost emails. I don’t check this forum very often, so I didn’t find out until a few minutes ago. Hopefully the next email will get through.

Trm
    Participant

Built an aquaponics sytem in the spring, built another one in the fall for indoors so I can keep growing, can send you a pic if your looking for ideas, you could do this in an apartment if you had to. Glad to see someone else has dreams of off grid and aquaponics – I’m in central Ontario – look into yurts for low cost housing

Terry

JoeP
    Participant

Hi Val,

How has your prep been going?  Have you been able to meet and discuss with anyone?  I have been exploring the possibility of getting away from this daily grind myself in NYC.  If you’re interested in chatting as I would like to hear how things are going during your planning, I can be emailed at joep1124@ymail.com.  Look forward to chatting.

Best Regards,

Joe

ValPal
    Participant

Hello everyone, Im back. Its been a while !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.