MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Look at going off the grid in a few years…

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  JettoFunk 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

JettoFunk
    Participant

Hi everyone, first post.

I’m looking at going off the grid in a few years and starting a small community probably in the north west. Like most of you I’m just sick of the every day life and living for the next paycheck.

The community I have in mind will start with about 10 people/families. I would like to get around 800 acres of rural land, I figure between 10 people that should be easy to afford.

I want to be green from the food to the power but I’m curious as to what skills I may need for this.

I’m giving myself a 2-3 year time line to get everything down.

The power will be wind with backup diesel generator (vegged). Water will be spring or rain, recycled water will be gray for crops. Solid waste will probably have to be dumped every so often or burned in a trash burner.

Heated water, solar/trash.

I know this is what I want to do, but where should I star?

I’m going to take the next 2-3 years and use them to save money and go to school (using my GI bill). I’ll learn about stuff that I’ll need, carpentry, metal fab, environmental science, etc. When my bills are paid off and the housing market is looking better, I’ll sell this house and buy a nice piece of land. Probably drop a trailer for a year while me and the rest of the community build.

I know 800 acres is allot of land for 10 people, but I want this community to grow and I want allot of the land to remain untouched. The saddest thing I’ve seen was my home town turn from everglades and citrus trees to parking lots and sub divisions.

JettoFunk
    Participant

BTW I’m in the US.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.