MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Living off-grid in canada

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Greener 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Callaffexywew
    Participant

I want to know if I can live in a small cabin I will build myself off-grid (solar powered) full-time? Is it necessary to have a civic number ? (i.e 328 Top Hill Road) etc.. or can I be secluded away in peace and quiet? I live in montreal, canada and am looking for a piece of land 1 1/2 hour away from me

Greener
    Participant

Hey!

I live in Ottawa. We live in a 2,800 sq. foot home totally off the grid. Nothing fancy. Standard home, stick frame, wood heat (when I have the wood), a 1300 W array, 3.5 kW inverter, 2400 amp-hour battery bank at 24 volts…

yes – totally doable. I have a 2 year old, and another on the way….yes…it is easy to do, takes little lifestyle change, and did not break the bank. i am permitted through the Electrical Safety Authority, and did everything above the board….

Callaffexywew
    Participant

hey thanks for the reply.. however, do you have a civic number? did you need to get permits for building your house off-grid? is having a cement foundation necessary or can I build everything on cement blocks ? (so i can do it myself), etc.. where can i find answers to all these questions.. or is ontario less tight on rules than quebec? (if it is i might consider building there).. i really want to do if I can buy a 1 acre land for example and start building myself without asking anyone anything..

Greener
    Participant

Yes – I do have a civic number. We built a new house on a vacant lot, and simply went through the normal motions of building a home. This included building permit, development fees etc. We also did our usual electrical rough in and Electrical Safety Authority (in Ontario) permitting.

We didn’t tell the City we were “off grid”, since they are not issuing a permit for electrical hookup. We also did not tell our local utility, since it has nothing to do with electrical either, since we are not connecting to the grid. We did have to tell the ESA, since they are a permitting issuing authority on all electrical things. Foundation, etc., is irrelevant – it is a structural issue, and has no bearing on electrical (e.g., don’t confuse the issues).

I am not sure of the difference between rules in quebec or ontario. If you want to give me your email address, I can email you directly…

t

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.