MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Living off grid can begin on grid

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  elnav 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We live in upstate NY. Yes, we have bills, including a mortgage that’s close to being paid off. We grow much of our own food, raise llamas, and grow herbs too. We have a lot of the wonderful things that off gridders love so much. I’m here to say that living off grid can start at home, one step at a time. We buy local, from local farmers, and from cooperatives. Each day I find a new way to keep my money close to home. We have a nice piece of land that has slowly been turned from woods into pasture. Takes goats and a llama to do it the simple way, then you cut down the ringed trees and presto there’s more food. We recently converted to solar hot water, have three woodstoves (one in the barn loft) and host woofers who come live here and help with the gardens, all organic, raised beds. Can you start at the beginning? Start one raised bed in your yard, and plant some garlic. It’s that time of the year. Grow self seeders, perennials, fruit trees. One at a time, and before you know it, years go by, and you are closer to being off the grid. Have hope people! It can be done. I was homeless for three years so I know what it’s like to be “truly” off grid too. Take heart, you can start today to create your off grid life. See us at: http://www.cherryplainfarm.blogspot.com. Namaste, Jules

Dustoffer
    Participant

The link doesn’t work, and I looked up “namaste” in the dictionary and it wasn’t there. When I build this off-grid complex, I was living on grid. Working mainly weekends for over a year. Then the solar powered house became the base camp to build the addition, then the Earthship. After work, and weekends for another two years. Then more hard work and penny pinching until the small mortgage was paid off.

Yeah, it is more of a process than an event.

Hey Dustoffer,

The link works, but you may have to just copy/paste it into your browser.

http://www.cherryplainfarm.blogspot.com

I think by accident I included a period at the end. Many of us are working towards off grid living, and to set everything up properly we often have to start where we are. I hope everyone eventually can be more independent during these end times. Thank you for writing.

Weathershaman

Dustoffer
    Participant

It works now. I guess it was simply the accidental dot at the end. What does namaste mean?

I suppose we could be in the end times as a species, looking at the longer term. If we don’t make it through Anthropocene Epoch Thermal Maximum (2300 to 3500AD) and about 200,000 years after of tough living.

I like your point weathershaman. Iam new here and have always thought off grid living was kind of turning your back on neighbors in terms of not supplying the dirty electrical grid with excess (clean) generation. Iam interested in your philosophy and how it can be most cost effectively integrated with the existing grid. I understand that a majority of off griders do not have easy access to it so it wouldnt really apply in that situation.

elnav

We moved to an area in NW BC where a large proportion of the population lives off grid and has been doing so for decades. For them life goes on normally. They hold jobs (or not) join in community events and as one man told me it is not a topic worth talking about. Most people have a vegetable garden, grow their own food and some make a point of practicing permaculture as an ideology not simply as a gardening technique.

I met these people at the library during a gala affair to launch a new book reader club. The library being one of the few places with internet access.

Many of the Tourist Information booths are solar powered because in summer at high latitudes they do get enough sunlight.

They close in winter so it doesn’t matter that there is hardly enough sun to charge a cell phone never mind providing lights for a cabin.

To those looking to establish an off grid community, may I suggest looking at an existing small community where real estate prices have taken a nose dive due to the down turn in the economy. You may find a rent to own property to your liking. There will be an existing infrastructure to ease the transition while you get set up and establish your own food garden. You can use the power from the utility until you get your own system going then gradually shift the load from the utility to your own power generation. When you are ready pull the disconnect switch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.