MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Lamp oils?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Spit 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Spit

what’s the best and cleanest lamp oil to use?

i have a lot of old glass lamps i pick up at auctions. i used to burn paraffin but since it’s a carcinogen i’m looking for an alternative. i know olive oil is clean, but it doesn’t have the capillary action up the wick.

is there anything else…or any way to rig old oil lamps?

thanks for any help,

andy

elnav

I think you are out of luck. Vegetable oils are different from petroleum distillates like paraffin or kerosene. I saw discussion from India about a year ago where an engineer was trying to develop a vegetable oil lamp tp make use of natural berry oil found in abundance along road ditches in India. He was experiencing the same difficulty regarding a regular wick lamp not burning clean and bright enough. Most likely you will need some form of preheat to lower the viscosity to allow the wicking action to work better. It might also be necessary to have a pressurized tank like a coleman lantern. I am also just using my glass lamps as decorations. I do intend to rebuild my Alladin lamp because it does burn so bright and alledgely cleaner than the older stype wick lanterns.

Spit

thanks elnav.

where then would i find the cleanest kerosene/paraffin to burn? is there a particular brand? i read that ultra-pure lamplight farms was good, but would something like that burn as bright as kerosene? and which would be healthier to be around?

also, i was considering an Aladdin, but living in a small camper trailer in the south in the summer…would it be too hot?

elnav

Yes. all oil lamps would be too hot for a samll compartment down south in summer. Only suggestion I could think of on short notice is placing the lamp outside and use mirrors to reflect the light inside thru a window maybe specially placed to provide the best light position.

Spit

and the cleanest lamp fuel to burn? ultrapure paraffin or just quality kerosene?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.