MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Introduction – Ben @ Lyons In The Wild

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lyonsinthewild 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lyonsinthewild
    Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Ben, and I’ve followed Off-Grid.net and posts on Landbuddy for a few years now.  Earlier this year my fiancé and I decided that we wanted to move out of Gainesville, FL where we have been for the last 8 years.  In July of this year we’re going to be embarking upon a massive road trip around the country to visit friends, family, national parks, etc., and anyone or anything else that sparks our interest, or may offer a place to park for the night ;)

We’re both 31 and over the last two years woke up to the harsh reality of the state we’re in.  So, we have been selling all of our “junk” and just keeping the useful stuff for now – outdoor gear, kitchen & cooking, and tools.  It kills us to put it into storage, and not totally detach from it, but we want to use the next 6 months as a dry run to see if we’re capable of a minimalist lifestyle.

We’ll be living in our Subaru Forester for the duration of the trip, but don’t let that fool you – we have enough camping gear for a large family, and will certainly be comfortable underneath the stars – rain or shine.  I’m originally from New Hampshire, so between NH and FL Katie and I have learned to tolerate extreme weather.

One of our hobbies has been photography and writing, so we started the blog Lyons In The Wild to chronicle our adventure. I’m still honing my design skills, but everything is fully functional.  At some point I’d also like to post inspirational stories of people, like the folks here, who have gone off grid, want to go off grid, or even if it’s not for them – think it’s a noble idea.  We’d love to visit, talk shop, and either do some still photo or video of accomplishments you have made on your piece of heaven, and write a piece on your philosophies, et cetera.

From this trip we’re hoping to find a new place to settle down with our new outlook on life.  We’re hoping that we find some neck of the woods that speaks to us – politely of course – to come join and put forth our best effort on making a positive impact.  We’re also hoping to come up with a list of things that we need and that we don’t need – materially, physically, emotionally, locationally, communally, and so on.

So, if anyone is interested in meeting us, perhaps allowing us a place to park for the night and a bucket of water for our shower, we’d be happy to do our best in retelling your story for everyone interested, and of course do our share of chores for the stay!

Our trip begins on July 21st, and takes us from Florida to a family crab fest in Delaware, and on to New Hampshire where our dog will be staying with my parents. From there we venture west!  Check out our tentative itinerary at Road Trippers.

Happy trails all!

Ben  (benjamin.j.lyons@gmail.com)

B&K @ Brasstown Valley in Northern GA

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Hey you two, I think you are having way too much fun :)

I tried the road trippers link and it doesn’t seem to work, not sure why….

Keep us updated on things as you can :)

Wretha

lyonsinthewild
    Participant

Hey Wretha,

Thank you for catching that bad link!  A random %20 in the URL messed everything up, but it’s fixed now ;)

We’ll certainly keep ya updated!

-Ben & Katie

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

What? You don’t like Texas so badly that you are staying at least one state away from our border?

LOL, that’s some trip y’all are taking. :)

Wretha

lyonsinthewild
    Participant

Haha!  That’s not intentional – although it looks pretty funny, now that I’m looking at the map.

We’ve had some friends (originally from Texas, of course) tell us that we’d love it there.  I’ve spent a combined total of 6 days in Texas and Katie was born at a hospital in El Paso (and then quickly returned to Las Cruces with her family) – so I think we’ll need to get some Lone Star State destinations on our map!

If you, or anyone else has recommendations post ’em up :)

Catch ya later!

Ben

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.