MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to

Home Forums General Discussion Introduction and Request for Information

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  florencewillburn 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I stumbled across this site while researching the possibility of purchasing land to do a self-build in the UK (Scotland).  I am only just starting out so I am trying to get as much information as I can.  The main motivator for me is to live among nature (trees, birds, etc) and to use natural resources as much as possible and farm the land as well (fruits vegetables, etc).

The main thing I am trying to understand is the rules and regulations around this lifestyle.  The UK is so regulated and taxed so I imagine the government would not make it easy for people to do this.  How can I learn more about the rules, regulations and dos and don’ts of off-grid, self-sufficient?

Thanks for your info.

Hi, like you I’m longing to do this kind of lifestyle but the UK just isn’t going to be the place to do it. Too much legislation/bureaucracy and the cost of land is unreal. I’m looking for an already established plot or community to setup with.

just found that, fits off-grid and scotland:

“Power struggle: Family life off the Grid”
    By Steven McKenzie BBC Scotland Highlands and Islands reporter

Thanks for the replies.  Unfortunately, I thought that may be the case but I figured I’d ask here, looking for some hopeful news.  My wife and I are certainly not opposed to trying other European countries, Spain, Portugal or France perhaps but we thought we’d try here first.

I will start looking elsewhere.

I am a new member of this forum. Happy to be  part of it and hope that it is the best platform to update useful information.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.