MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion introduction :)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  papakoko 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

papakoko
    Participant

I have been looking at this site off and on for a long time now… I am a 37 year old disabled Navy vet. My wife is also 37 and disabled. We are Christians. It is a dream of ours to pick up one day and go live the “simple life”. Our disability is a factor that causes fear . But a community might be the answer we need..

We live on a fixed income of about $1700 a month. We live in a semi rural area in SW Texas.About 45 miles outside Houston. We do currently get housing assistance. The main issue with being on a fixed income is that all the money goes to bills and feeding our family. There is truly no extra for saving.. Last time I checked land wasn’t free :)

There are two main factors beside the income that are currently holding us back from from actually seeking our dream. We have a 17 year old daughter. We do not want to force our dream on her. In less then a year she will be an “adult”. The second thing is our disabilities.While we are not totally useless we do have a lot of difficulties with physical labor.

We can and do maintain a year round garden. We are still learning so its not the most productive garden in the world :). I also possess primitive bowyer skills. I can make hunting bows from tree to working bow in little time.. I can hunt,fish, and possess basic survival and first aid knowledge.

The only way I can see us ever being able to live this lifestyle is in a community of like minded folk. This community must be open to having those with disabilities living with them. Again we are not useless. We are not cripple. We just have a harder time with some things then others may have.

This is not something that we are looking to do immediately. I am posting this now as to give time to work our issues out and get a grasp on what others here think the possibility of us finding a community like this. Also to see if perhaps this type of community all ready exists . We would like to be on the western half of the country. If you draw a line from Texas strait to canada, then look to the left of that line :) We are not rich. We do not have a lot of money. What we do have is the desire to pour our hearts and souls into finding a community that is not a slave to technology.  To getting back to how God designed us.

Thanks for letting me be here..

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

I wish you all the luck in the world in getting to live your dream! It can be done on a shoestring, it’s not easy to do, but it’s possible. Keep us updated on your progress.

Wretha

papakoko
    Participant

I will Wretha.. Still in the thought phase ATM :)

chowan
    Participant

Forget my other post Wretha thanks.

Papakoko could you post some sort of anon or disposable email so I can contact you about your

primitive bow making and off grid aspirations.

beast
    Participant

like you, papakok, i have a lot of primitive skills, bowyer n fletcher being 2 of them
    once imdone fighting this throat cancer i would like to talk with you
    but for now allmy attentionis focused on surviving this

beast
    Participant

btw,had surgery finally,they claim they got it all but wanna wait and see
    alli know is i hurt likehell, canttalk,cant hear cant eat or drink and wish it was over

chowan
    Participant

hi beast sorry to hear about you having throat cancer hope its all better from now on

perhaps when your feeling better i could involve you in the idea i wanted to talk to papakoko about

where are you locate if you dont mind me asking?

beast
    Participant

right now i am actually living in a small city in northern lower michigan
    have to stay with one ofmy daughters cuz of the tracheotomy and feeding tube

chowan
    Participant

Well if you have some way to contact you that isnt a problem to put out public let me know

and maybee we can get together on skype or something.

maybee with the site upgrade we can send private messages.

any good bow woods easly avalable in michigan?

beast
    Participant

ash, oak, elm, hickory
    depends how you work them
    right now i can not talk, theres a tracheostomy tube stickin outta my throat
    cant hear either due to internal swelling
    my only means of communication other than this is pen and paper

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

How are you doing beast?

Wretha

beast
    Participant

they pulled the trach,i can almost talk again
    thanksgiving sucked,smelling allthe wonderful food
    watching everyone else eat while alli could do was fillmy feeding tube
    but imdoing good, healing nicely
    doc says as far as he can see im cancer free

papakoko
    Participant

You can get me a kokodonya@gmail.com ..

@beast I hope all is well with your throat ..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.