MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Introducing myself

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  beast 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

kraynik12
    Participant

Hey everybody,

My name is Andrew. I’m 26 and I’m working as an accountant, but it is not satisfying to me whatsoever. I am able to buy nice things with the money I make, but I cannot see myself doing this, or even a related job for the rest of my life. It is overly stressful.

Basically, I believe that it is absolutely possible to strive and have a happy life without all of the junk we buy and the silly jobs we work at. I’d love to help myself and others live a simpler life. People are doing so many terrible things to the planet, but it doesn’t have to be that way. I know that there are other people that feel the same way as myself (as shown by this website alone), and I would be thrilled to connect with people that I can learn from, while also sharing my own ideas with them.

Please don’t hesitate to write back :D

Thanks,

-Andrew

Nick Rosen
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew – good to hear from you – a kind of faint weariness at how much stuff we own is the main motivator for an awful lot of off-gridders.

Will you be gong off-grid anytime soon?

Anonymous

hi I’m marcelle, I am a single mom to a 7yr old boy. Originally from the UK but have lived in the usa now for 28yrs.  I have my son in public school now for his 2nd yr but would really like to find a community and be off grid so as I could homeschool/unschool with other parents or alternative school him.  I work pt and teach drama/dance after school, I am interested in somatic movement therapy and healing arts, currently I have my MA in special education and a modern dance background. Some of the places I am thinking about moving to are: the UK, Western Massachusetts nr Amherst, Earthaven or nearby in Asheville NC, or an intentional community in Virginia.  I like Vermont but think it may be really cold….I’m open to other areas too, but chose these as there is an artists scene there and progressive minded people.   I do not mind living simple, ie. yurts, tiny houses ect…I prefer to live inexpensively as I do not have cash to purchase expensive houses or land at the moment. I prefer to live in a child friendly community, or multi generational.

Thank you for reading:)

grumred
    Participant

Hi Andrew. My husband and I are urban homesteaders, living mostly off-grid and should complete the transition within the next two months. It is possible to live without all the “stuff.” I work for a recycling company at present and I am amazed at the things people dump, even new things still with tags on them. Our rule of thumb has become “if it doesn’t work, we don’t feed it and if it isn’t useful or barterable, don’t bring it home.” This has cut out a tremendous amount of clutter. I like my current job and have a great boss, but I don’t want to work forever. I also don’t see the economy here in the United States as sustainable more than maybe another year. I hope I still have a year to finish some of my projects.

We live in a very small house (286 sft) in a very poor neighborhood just a little south of downtown. This area was chosen on purpose because the house and land is paid for and the city leaves us alone for the most part. There’s no money to be made citing poor people so they go to the better neighborhoods to harass them. Same thing happens in the event of “Zombie Apocalypse”…they won’t come to my neighborhood, but will go up town.

We raise chickens and turkeys and a couple of geese. We are organic gardeners and raise, can and cure most of our own foods. We practice the old ways, milling our own wheat (when the rains don’t wipe it out) and bartering with friends for the things we don’t produce on our own.

Our energy is produced primarily from solar, but we also have two wood stoves, one for heat and an antique Monarch wood cook stove for cooking. We also have a propane stove for the warmer months or use an outdoor propane grill. We got rid of the upright fridge and use a converted chest freezer for refrigeration and use a chest freezer for its intended purpose as well. If we don’t have enough sunshine to produce as much power as we need, we have a generator that my husband converted to propane and can bring us back up to full capacity pretty quickly. We have not “unplugged” completely yet, but plan to do so within a month or so. The only things still “on grid” are the laundry room and a few plugs for 110 items. Those will be converted soon.

Anyway, the point is that we have been working on this for 5 years and have made lots of mistakes, had some miracles and successes and would love to share experiences with others who are working towards the same goals of self sufficiency.

kraynik12
    Participant

Grumred,

Where are you located exactly?

beast
    Participant

my rule of “Need” is ” if you cant eat it, if it dont keep you warm, if it dont protect you and you cant possibly make it yourself, you really dont need it :)
    your rule is good tho grumred

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.