Media Workers and TV Researchers - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion If you are reading this you are not off grid!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Polack Pirate
    Participant

Anyone heard of the Dunning-Kruger effect?

GingerBeef
    Participant

This is obviously a troll. Welcome to the internet folks

kd7ura
    Participant

Im off grid.  you’r talking about what i used to do before i went off grid:  camping.

i have 2 tiny wires that were put in a week ago for this internet connection, before that it was just the big sat dish outside for the teli.

its called FTA, or free to air satelite, is that off grid? not quite sure. no bill attached to it .

so far its been 7 years mortage free and solar powered.

as a teenager i went camping for three months in the desert near the Lost Dutchman Mountain Range, lived of the earth, i didnt even think to call it off grid living. but thats a story unto itself.

Cahow
    Participant

Polack Pirate: You just gave me this Sunday’s Topic of Discussion at our dinner table! Bloody Brilliant link, THANK YOU!!!

“Although the Dunning–Kruger effect was put forward in 1999, Dunning and Kruger quoted Charles Darwin (“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge”) and Bertrand Russell (“One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision”)as authors who have recognised the phenomenon. Geraint Fuller, commenting on the paper, notes that Shakespeare expresses similar sentiment in As You Like It  (“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”

I think this sums up 75% of the inquiring topics on this site. “Help Me, Obi Wan Off Gridder! I have no experience and no money but need your help!” (LOL)

Eric T Daniels
    Participant

yea I had to read this myself too. I am not going to read the comments however. The punch line is this. If this was the only true way to live and we all did it, there wouldn’t be much left in the Oregon woods in a few weeks. I came here to find and help people gain sustainability and reduce their dependence on cheaply produced products. I believe in and hope for a new world of people who are connected directly by the use of the internet and not by governments and corporations.

PattiM
    Participant

I’m new today and am so relieved to read the responses to the original post. I read it first, of course, and thought “uh-oh, maybe this isn’t what I thought it was and maybe I’m in the wrong place.” The responses confirmed that I am in the right place. :)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.