MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion How to make money Off the Grid

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jay 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Brie217
    Participant

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Thanks for the link, I currently live off grid and love every minute of it, I am always looking for creative ways to earn a few extra $$$s, I now have more ideas.

Wretha

caverdude
    Participant

Well, remember too that in living off-grid you are earning money in “reduced monthly expenses”. As I read in the “Owner Builder Book”, “In Benjamin Franklins time ‘A penny saved was a penny earned’ But in our time its more like ‘a dime saved was a dollar earned'”. Following that logic, every dime you don’t have to spend on monthly expenses is like earning a dollar.

http://www.larrydgray.net

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

elnav

Brie your point #7 is about making solar ovens. Have you actually done anything with on? GRIST magazine had an article a while back where they extolled the merits of solar ovens. They even pointed out that it ‘sometimes’ worked in rainy Seattle their home town.

I like to have a meal every day so I’n ot too enthused about a food cooker that ‘sometimes’ works and sometimes not. In the comment section I asked how the author suggested aparttment dwellers use one because in the same issue GRIST was saying urban centers would do better if the the big disaster really hit. I am still wondering how you cook a meal several hours after sundown using a solar cooker. Evidently I slept through solar cooking 101.

elnav

Brie your point #10 Starting an “Off-Grid” School: is good and I have found quite a few advertising such a service. Most of them in the sunny south several thousand miles from here.

Iam going to be doing the opposite. I have been asked to go to a reserve where the peeople truly need to learn how to be self sufficient and if posible off-grid.

Because they live so far north solar is not really an option. During six months of winter they have 1.9 insolation hours per day. Cloudy weather prevails for days on end. sometimes whole weeks. When the power fails it may take days for a repair crew to come and make repairs. So they freeze in the dark because gas furnaces rely on power to run the forced air fans.

I have been advising them by email over the past year but its time to move there and hold classes. They are allowed to fish but not sell any catch.

The husban only knows how to make fish soup. When he tasted what my wwife can do with salmon he aske when she would come up snd cook for them.

So cooking classes will be on the ccurriculum. Non native cooking style.

We noticed on Craig’s List that people in their area were giving away free chickeens. When we told them about it she said ” but what am I supposed to do with them?” Her reply to our answer “put them in your freezer” she said “I don’t know how”

Some of them are being gouged for $250 – $300 per month for electric power yet they have fast flowing rivers running right past the reserve. But they do not understand how to make electricity from that.

Lots to teach but better in their home land instead of a school that is too intensive for their learning sspeed. Telling them once in class isn’t as good as showing them three times at home.

caverdude
    Participant

I once bought a book titled something similar to “Suppletmenal Farm Income” at Tractor Supply. I have not seen it since, and I think there might have been a web site for it.

http://larrydgray.net

http://larrydgray.wordpress.com

elnav

Since caverdude’s book is not available to us lets restart Brie Hoffmans thread by repostting her original links

http://brie-hoffman.hubpages.com/_38j6ujm10h7dy/hub/How-to-make-MONEY-Off-the-Grid

They are worthwhile and should be discussed.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

One way I earn a little extra spending money, I live in a very small community, we are pretty isolated, there are many elderly people out here. I have made it known that I’m available to help, sometimes all someone needs is an extra set of hands. I help clean (houses and churches), I drive one lady into town each week and help her with shopping, doctors appointments and such (she has lost most of her eyesight). By being available to people, I get more “job” offers that I can personally take care of at any given week.

Wretha

elnav

Amanda knits socks to keep her arthritic fingers limber. She sold them at the gas station convenience store until the store burnt and had to close. Truck drivers in particular liked them because they wer far btter than the chinese imports. We found a great source of FREE wool at the Sally Ann and Goodwill store. People would donate old sweaters, some with slightly frayed cuffs or stains. We unraveled the knitted wool and do over as socks. And the quality of those old articles was way better than moden synthetic fibers.

ReBoot2009
    Participant

I would love to buy some socks from Amanda. I wouldn’t need them until the first of November, I will get you some sizes before then, for four pairs.

Brie217
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses. One thing that helps to make money is having somekind of internet store…that way your can sell your stuff all over the world without leaving your home. However, some people don’t have the internet in their homes so if that is the case one can usually go into town maybe once a week and use the library or an internet cafe to fill orders.

I love the sock idea, might try that myself!

Brie Hoffman

elnav

Brie you forgot to mention the most important prt of having n internet store. You must have Paypal or equivalent. Not everyone qualifies for this.

People with no regular job may not qulaify for a credit card whih is something Paypalinsist on.

There is also the incongruity of having credit cards hwen the whole idea of going off-grid is to cut lose from the grid and the establishment. Doing it your way with Amazon banner ads on your website and the whole kitch thing is simply trading one serfdom for another.

Brie217
    Participant

I don’t have a credit card and I haven’t had one for 3 years and I have a paypal account…there are ways to get around EVERYTHING!

elnav

Great so why don’t you share the secret.

MRGUMBY
    Participant

All you need is a bank card for paypal.

50.00 and you can get one of those.

(Or do you mean they cannot get to a bank??)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.