MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion How did you decide where to move to?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  MasEncanto 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ASJK
    Participant

Hi Forum,

That is what is holding me back….. the unsurity of location. I have my design / build in mind. The hardest part for me is figuring out the where. You have the “Can I build here” worry, the “Tax burden” worry…. You get where I’m going.

So, that’s what I’d like know… How did you decide on where you were going?

ASJK

MarkNmontana
    Participant

Pick an area that you would like to be, then check out the restrictions and look Elsewhere.  is there water, timber for building and heat, food supply, garden possibilities, to cold to hot, do you need to be close to town, phone & Internet service avail, secluded enough so you are not on top of others,  there is a long list of things to look for.  I just put my place on the market it’s 100% ready to move into. just fill up the 3000 gal water supply with the pump and you are home free.

MasEncanto
    Participant

Hi, I’m new on this forum – just found it by coincidence :-)

We started by looking at technical details: amount of sun hours in winter, average temperatures, average rainfall. Then we looked at travel distance: having ageing parents, we didn’t want to be more than 2 hours from a decent airport, and less than a day’s travel away from them.
    Next on the list were rules, regulations and prices… that really narrowed it down.

After that, we took a few trips to get to know a few areas. In the end we chose Matarranya, Aragon, Spain; we were very lucky as we have a growing community of fellow adventurers. Young people and families are moving here, rehabilitating old abandoned farms and starting a new life off the grid. We’ve now been in our house almost a year (next week!), still finishing things but very happy with were we are.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.