MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion holiday wish

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  centralpafarm 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

northern person
    Participant

Hello from Northwest Territories wishing everyone on the board a great holiday season and green and grand new year

elnav

Hello back at you. I’m way south of you at lat 55 N near Prince R upet

Where are you located approximately?

northern person
    Participant

Hi Elnav if you do a google map search or use land buddy were very close to Great Slave Lake near small town of Enterprise. I am about 20 km from Enterprise just off highway going to Yellowknife. I would imagine you get even more snow in Prince Rupert than we do. Our lane from cabin to highway is only about 1/2 a km and it cut amongst the pines and spruce. We are able to keep this open using a pickup and a drag. Highways will also come in if your flag is up but this costs $150 but they really push the snow back which is requred once a year normally.

Were on leased land which is the only option besides squatting. We have plenty of room for a garden (root crops) and a green house. Water is assible near by. Of course wood for heating is in abundance and cutting and hauling to town is profitable as wood sells for $ 250 a cord. We have moose, woodland caribou in the area so this helpsas well.

I dont live at my cabin full time as Im still working on it. I am still working but plan to retire within four years. I am looking for someone to commit to moving into my cabin and staying there for a time this way I can finish it sell my house and retire. One of my problems is I have alot invested and cant complete cabin and leave it empty. Its disappointing that some people will damage what others have worked so hard to build. But this is the reality.

Its a great area as it has cell phone coverage so turbo sticks work for lap top. We have all kinds of sun for 8 months of the year but will be required to charge batteries in the winter when five hours is all the sunlight we get for the day. I have one nieghbor about four km away. My cabin isnt visable from the highway but we can just hear the trafic go by. Just a nice way to simplify life and enjoy it.

elnav

Would that put you near McNally Creek but not as far as Heart Lake? Very similar to where i used to live. Unfortunately we had to move for health reasons. I had a stroke and could not make it to a doctor or hospital some 70 kilometers away. Now we live near a small town that has a hospital only five minutes away.

We are right on the municipal border of the town but our backyard is a nature conservation that stretches all the way to the 6000 foot mountain peak that dominates the scenery about 3 kilometers away. we heat with wood but have town water. <smile> No hauling water from a creek in winter.

The lease contract includes a new clause I have never seen before. It specifically prohibits setting up a large independent power generating facility on the property. /Guess this a result of all the off grid grow ops recently uncovered in this area, <smile>

northern person
    Participant

Hi yes were close to McNally Creek. Getting water this winter has been bad as we havnt had that much snow and its mild. Sure is good drinking water and ice is nice for my rum and cokes

northern person
    Participant

Hi yes were close to McNally Creek. Getting water this winter has been bad as we havnt had that much snow and its mild. Sure is good drinking water and ice is nice for my rum and cokes

elnav

I had friends who moved to Dawson City. They bought 10 acres on other side of D.C. where Dawson West had been sited but never built. He scrounged timber then cut it with Alaskan Sawmill. I have been involved with off-gridders since mid seventies when I was designing and building wind generator controls. The technology sure has changed since those days. Do you use a sun tracker? If so did it make a big diffence?

northern person
    Participant

Elnav I havnt installed my solar yet I have to complete my kitchen cabinets and appliances first. Your question in regards to tracker do you feel you can reduce 40 % of panels if trackert is used. I believe I will likely purchase but Im wondering if they are as good as people say

gordo
    Participant

ihad my pannels on a tracker leaning against the coupe for a year until i had enough money to put a tower in. on average i went from 68 to 117 amphours collected in a day. i have zomeworks its a 25 year old tracker with original gas charge. i have noticed though that if it gets cloudy for a short spell even when the sun comes back out crankin the tracker usually doesn’t continue to track for the rest of the day. same if its cloudy in the morning and sun comes out later, gas does not heat up enough to adjust pannels.

holiday wish- wish i had a wind gen right now. been blowing over 60mph for 6 hours.

peace g

centralpafarm
    Participant

wow 250.00 a cord of wood.. Here in my valley in central pa we have amish saw mills ctting hardwoods for rail timbers and the extra is sold for 35.00 or ct off from the logs before milling for 35.00 and both are at least a cord.. The sell split cords for 115.00 but i cut and split my own from their waste..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.