MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion High Altitude Living

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  HighYurtitude 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

HighYurtitude
    Participant

Hello All,

Wondering if any off-griders are at living at high altitudes and what challenges they have faced doing it? I’m going to be putting up a yurt at about 12000 ft in the Central Colorado Rockies. I have been thinking about making it a full time home. In order to do that I would have to do a little more planning. I was thinking about trying to start a vegetable garden. I would have to do some sort of hoop green house since snow covers the ground most of the year. Does any one know any plants that can grow at 12,000 ft? Most of the high altitude gardens I have read about are around 8-9000 ft. Would live stock like Chickens, Goats and Rabbits make it that high up? Or if any one else has any tips for high altitude living?

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Well, I was about to say we are at high altitude, but not compared to your altitude! We are just under 6000 feet, completely off grid. I will say there were some changes to work with, there are plants that will not grow above certain altitudes, having nothing to do with temps, but the altitude, for us it was a trial and error thing. One thing I know we can’t grow, that grows at lower altitudes like a weed is okra, it will only get a foot or so tall, at the very end of the growing season, I MIGHT get a couple of pods from each plant.

You might want to consider checking in to underground greenhouses, check this site:

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/book.html

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/greenhouse_book.html

Also, if you aren’t used to living at a higher altitude, know that it will take some time for you to acclimate, breathing is harder, you will run out of breath doing simple things, like walking! Engines also have a harder time running, for the same reasons, thinner air and less oxygen.

Wretha

HighYurtitude
    Participant

Thanks for the links. An in ground greenhouse might work really well. My lot is mostly a steep slope on the north side of a hill but there are a couple of spots where I get full sun throughout the day.

I know what you mean running out of breath doing simple things. I built a fence out of some dead fall pine and I would have to stop after bringing each post up the driveway about 25yrds. I think just living up there would be a good workout/diet plan!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.