MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to

Home Forums General Discussion Help ref Planning

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Justme 9 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #36319


    Hi i hope someone can help us. we have a 3 bed semi-detached house and approx 5-6 years ago we hired a builder to make some renovations. The builder told us he would sort everything including the planning permission and rather naively it seems we agreed. the work consisted of removing the kitchen wall opening up the space into the existing single story “outhouse/storage” area. we also had this area extended to be level with the rear of the property increasing the space by approx 6 metre square. During the time the work was progressing we asked the builder about planning permission and was told that as we were extending into a existing building and the extended part was under 10 metre square we would not need to inform the planning department. we have sense been told by a friend that we should have had planning control. can any one help us with this?



    Phone your local planning office and ask if you need planning permission to do what you’ve done. You probably don’t.

    However, you will need building control – someone comes round whilst the work is being done to check it’s being done according to building regs.

    If you’re never going to move, it doesn’t really matter. But if you do sell, the buyers will probably want to see a certificate to prove the work’s been done properly.




    As the work was done over 4 years ago then you can apply for a cirt of legal use. Much easier than PP or retrospective PP.


Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.