MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to

Home Forums General Discussion Have Land In Missouri/ Need Physical Help

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m wondering if there is anyone out there interested in helping me with my OTG property (specifically taking raw woods and building a small cottage, etc…)… exchange for an acre of land and my help with yours when the work is done? Property is located in south western Missouri about an hour east of Springfield, MO near the Gasconade river. Please email me or comment if you’re seriously interested. Thanks!

Hi, I would love to talk to you more about this.. I have been looking to go OTG and this sounds like something that I would be interested. I am 45yrs old and I have some experience in construction like framing, dry wall, stucco, tiling, custom wood doors and some plumbing. I have never been OTG for longer that a month at a time when I would go camping. I can fish and have done some light hunting. Most important I am a great cook. I would be looking to do this with my son who is 21 and he would be a great help. Please contact me if I sound like what your looking for…

Hi CG

Currently working on my Otg project also, making progress slowly but surely. Taking raw wood and building a cottage is really labor intensive but not impossible. If your place is covered in hardwood like mine that isn’t the best wood for a log cabin style house. If you have a a good supply of cedar that wood is ideal. You might study Eathships which are on youtube simply the most amazing structure for OTG. I am using some of that tech and tiny house principles for my place. Check out Earthships you can even go to Taos and stay in one.

cheers, post if you would like to collaborate.

Greeting CG,

Hope all is well.

Yes, I might be willing to do a work trade with you.

I like the idea of having more than one secure place to call home and I am also planning on helping as many OTG Communites as i can before i finish and move to the Hopi Land OTG community i am working on. I think its important for us all to network and personally know each other so we can have an extended OTG community family in the future that can work together.

Lets talk when you have a few minutes and we can discuss what your time frame is for your OTG Property/Cottage.

Best Regards,

countrygurl, What is your timeframe? When do you want to be living on the property? It appears that you started this thread 6 days ago. These are important considerations with winter fast approaching. How big of a cottage, cabin, shack have you envisioned? What construction techniques are you thinking about? What is the property like? Is it heavily wooded and what types of trees, or sparsly wooded? Are there zoning issues to be concerned with?

I have been looking for land farther west but MO isn’t a bad place either. My plan is to find something between now and spring then make the jump. I hope to have the weather working with me rather than against. I can design and build just about anything. Am competent at electrical wiring and have converted two homes to make good use of greywater and reduce septic tank issues. I am not a fan of septic tanks etc. and prefer to use a composting system such as outlined in Joseph Jenkins HUMANURE HANDBOOK.

Also, I am retired, 55 and living on my comfortable (With Inflation how long?) pension. My personal goal is to get established and as self-sufficent as possible while it is “affordable.” I am a bit of a hermit,I like peace and quiet. I have lived off-grid for a year in a rather unconventional way. I lived on a sailboat then and have become accustomed to being energy concious. I have gardened in the past and look forward to returning to that. I can be found here and at rhumstruck-at-gmail.

Hi countrygurl,

I did start to go a little OTG about 2 years ago, and I LOVE IT! I installed a wood stove, free heat, unending warmth and best cooking I have ever done! I started a garden with 10 raised beds from recycled lumber. Last year, I built a beautiful coop all from left over building materials acquired for free. My 12 “Girls” are a part of my family now. I thank them every day for the big beautiful eggs we all get to enjoy! Breakfast and lunch always at hand!

I have 25 years of experience renovating homes, still have a few of my tools left, sawzall, table saw, circular saw, drills etc… You name it, I have done it! Plumbing, electrical, construction, roofing etc….My daughter tells me I am, “tiny but mighty”! very versatile and physically able at 55 to accomplish anything. Only sad thing she is a special ed teacher and will not move with me.

I live on a lovely farm in New Jersey too close to NYC. I do not want to stay in New Jersey!!!!!! for many reasons. I am very interested in getting more information from you on your offer. John Moore a host on RBN lives near by you and I had contacted him about relocating to MO. Is there some kind of housing there if one relocates? While working there? What would be the cost? Would there be somewhere for my chickens to stay, as I have a nice transport cage for them.

The 10 Wonders of a Wood Stove!

1- At least (it is a start) you are off the grid for heating bills! I love not sending my money to the gas company! NO Heating bills! This will be my 3rd winter coming up! It has paid for itself before the first season!

2- No worries or anxiety if the power goes out as in the past! (NO need for power) I am ready for the “Blizzard, or what ever” let it come on! I will be warm and have hot delicious food! My pipes will not freeze!

3- Cooking! the best I have ever done! so simple and easy, cheaper grass fed cuts of beef turn out like filet mignon! This past Christmas dinner was the best I have ever made! Very picky eaters at my home raved about this meal! all done on my wood stove! I am not usually the best cook!

4- Ambiance of a slow bright fire glowing! exuding such warmth, an extreme pleasureable human feeling felt for eons! Great for the soul; so comforting and relaxing!

5- Benefits of finding and securing your wood supply! I live on a farm and dead trees downed are cut and recycled for fireplaces and wood stoves at no cost to his many friends! The owner of this farm replaces all downed with new alive trees! Thus continuing the rule of nature! Replace what is lost in nature and all be be well!

6- Exercise and physical health! Yes! it is work getting the wood to your home, cutting it down to size for the stove and then stacking it close to the door! cleaning and removing the ash as the wood is burned. Is a continued effort on one’s part for the winter months, but well worth the reward of health and mental awareness of getting a little bit off the grid! and saving and alot of money.

7- Wood ash! 10 amazing uses- De-skunk pets. A handful rubbed on Fido’s coat neutralizes the lingering odor. Hide stains on paving. This Old House technical editor Mark Powers absorbs wet paint spatters on cement by sprinkling ash directly on the spot; it blends in with a scuff of his boot,

Enrich compost. Before the organic compound get applied to soil, enhance its nutrients by sprinkling in a few ashes, says the host of radio’s You Bet Your Garden, Mike McGrath. Adding too much, though, ruins the mix. Block garden pests. Spread evenly around garden beds, ash repels slugs and snails. Melt ice. TOH building editor Tom Baker finds it adds traction and de-ices without hurting soil or concrete underneath. Control pond algae. One tablespoon per 1,000 gallons adds enough potassiumm to strengthen other aquatic plants that compete with algae, slowing its growth,

Pump up tomatoes. For the calcium-loving plants, McGrath places 1/4 cup right in the hole when planting. Clean glass fireplace doors. A damp sponge dipped in the dust scrubs away sooty residue.

Make soap. Soaking ashes in water makes lye, which can be mixed with animal fat and then boiled to produce soap. Salt makes it harden as it cools. Shine silver. A paste of ash and water makes a dandy nontoxic metal polisher.,,1581470,00.html

8- For women only: No need for a hair dryer! I just stand in front a foot away of my stove with the door a little open and bend over! in 3 minutes my very long hair is dried and soft! Saving on my electricity! or no need for it! Nail polish dries in a jiffy! just hold your hands a foot away and dry in a minute.

9- No need to use your clothes dryer! I have wooden racks that I set up about a foot from my stove! In just one hour my Jeans and all laundry is dried and wrinkle free! Again saving on electricity! or no need for it!

10- Dry your garden herbs! Tie bunches to a wood rack a foot away and over night they are done!

Hope you enjoyed my wood stove wonders! Please contact me,

Sincerely, Susan

Some excellent tips Susan, I will insert one thing about this:

For women only: No need for a hair dryer! I just stand in front a foot away of my stove with the door a little open and bend over! in 3 minutes my very long hair is dried and soft! Saving on my electricity! or no need for it! Nail polish dries in a jiffy! just hold your hands a foot away and dry in a minute.

I will say that hair is flammable, and depending on what products you put on your hair (gel, mousse, hairsprays…) your hair could be VERY flammable, I would exercise great caution in putting your wet or dry hair near an open woodstove, also the same thing goes for nailpolish, that is also very flammable, I wouldn’t recommend drying hair or nail polish in this manner…

I’m an old hairdresser so I know about these things, I used to sit and read the MSDS book about the various products in the salon, I’m also someone who lives off grid (since Dec 07) and uses a woodstove to heat and cook with… just my 2 cents. :)

I’m copying this message on the other post you made with this same content.

Hi Treasuregift,

Please note that I said, a little open, I only open the door an inch or so. Hair is protected by glass door. And of course no sparks can spew out and you can feel what is comfortable heat to dry your hair. I do not use anything on my hair! Only organic mild soap to wash. But, Yes, Treasure hair is flammable as is everything else near a wood stove so one must always use common sense and caution, which you are right. I should have incorporated this concern into article. Do you have a wood stove? I have safely dried my hair with mine, past 2 years.

Yes Susan/peanut2101, I do have a wood stove, my hubby and I live off grid and we heat our cabin with a wood stove. We have lived off grid since Dec ’07 and love every minute of it. We do a lot of things with our wood stove, but I’ve never used it as a hair dryer :) I do my best to shampoo my hair early in the day so that it will be dry by nightfall. I have seen sparks popping from the wood stove from time to time, and the occasional back puff of smoke depending on the wind and the type of wood we are burning, I wouldn’t want my head or hair near the wood stove when that happens.

One thing I have done with my wood stove, I have put my jeans and t-shirts on the stove to heat them up before putting them on, if it’s really hot I only put jeans on it for a few seconds on each side, just long enough to take the chill off them. I also use it to cook homemade tortillas, make pizza and other foods. I also keep a pot or pan of water on it to help humidify the air and it’s nice to have hot water on demand for coffee or hot tea.

I’m interested in your discussion about the flammability of hair. I’ve often set mine alight while welding underneath vehicles. My hair is fairly long and thick, and sometimes it goes really fluffy the day after washing it.(probably depends which shampoo I use)

I’ve never found it much of a problem though, the dry fluffy bits of hair catch first. Just flap it a few times with your hands and it goes out quite easily. An instant cheap haircut lol.

Hi Wreatha,

I think you are missing the point! I never open the door fully!, sparks that may happen are stopped by glass door! I have not had back puffs of smoke that you mention. If the exhaust chimney pipe is the correct length and free of creosol- “cleaned regularly” the updraft should be good no matter what wood is burning or wind is blowing, (maybe unless you burn wet wood, I do not). I for one would never! put anything on my wood stove in direct contact, except an iron or stainless steel pan! as temperatures can approach 500 degrees, not even for a second! So you can continue to take the day to dry your hair and place clothing on your wood stove. I will not, with caution and common sense it is a 3 minute dry for my hair and all clothing is placed on a wood rack to dry or warm up, in front of the stove at least a foot away.

Hi Peanut2101, I believe I do get your point, you choose the risks you wish to take, I choose mine, and believe me, there are many. Your methods may be perfectly safe, for you, so far, but in sharing your methods in a public forum, you are making huge assumptions about the people reading your material, you are assuming they have clean safe wood stoves, you are assuming they are burning the same type of fuel you are, you are assuming they aren’t using flammable hair products, you are assuming they will be as careful as you are… unfortunately there are lots of less than careful people in this world who will read something and try it without taking the necessary precautions, I’m sure that was not your intention.

I am all for sharing information, but one needs to be aware of how said information is disseminated, and be sure to include as many precautions as possible. And quite honestly, there are some things that probably shouldn’t be shared, there are lots of things I do that I would never post in a public forum, mostly because of the potential risks, I just don’t want the possible liability coming back on me (or the owner of this forum/site).

Please don’t take this as a reprimand, I would be very interested in hearing more about your experiences living off grid as would many other people here. :)

Treasure gift,

No more posting for me here! It is ok if you put clothing directly on your stove! which has a great potential for a fire! I advised I would never put anything directly on the stove, NOTHING!, except iron or steel cooking vessels! That said, if someone puts flammable crap on their hair and then someone lights a cigarette near the hair, it could go up in flames! Give me a break Wreatha! Again! CAUTION and COMMON SENSE is the rule for a wood stove, which obviously you do not possess. I NEVER advised that someone should stand in front of a blazing spark spewing fire with the door fully open! to dry their hair. I do not assume anything in this life, if a person chooses to use a wood stove without knowing how to properly use it, then they are assuming all the risks of negligence! Just as one would get behind the wheel of a car without knowing how to drive it and take of! they are assuming all the risks of negligence! I will never post any more on these forums!

I do not know why someone who seems to be so sensitive to feedback would post on public forums, I believe my replies were polite, not meant to be or sound negative, I did not attack or belittle Peanut, so if this is all it takes to upset her and run her off, then so be it. I wish her well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.