MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums Technical Discussion Has anyone built an A-Frame House? Looking for feedback

Tagged: 

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Alan_K 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Alan_K
    Participant

Hi Forum,

Been considering an A-Frame style dwelling to build off-grid. I like the chalet style of this build, seems to be fairly straight forward in design. Came up with a 32′ x 20′ footprint. 640 sqft.

My build calculations & materials list, just for the framing come out as the following.

Width = 20′ – (2) 2 x 4 x 10 (butted together at center point) both ends. So, (4) 2 x 4 x 10.

Length = 32′ – (2) 2 x 4 x 16 (butted together at center point) both sides. So, (4) 2 x 4 x 16.

Here’s the part I’m questioning. If I make the center height 12′ and we know the center point of the base is 10′, The roof length of the framing calculates out just short of 16′

So here’s my math

H = Center Height – Given as 12′

B = Base – Given as 10′

R = Roof Length = Square Root ((H squared) + (B squared))

OR

(12 x 12) = 144 + (10 x 10) = 100 = 244.

Square root of (244) = 15.62 (almost 16′).

Any feedback as to whether I’m close, way off or somewhere in the middle would greatly be appreciated

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.