MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums DIY Grey water filtre

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  beast 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Kelly
    Participant

Hello

new here, and in the process of building a grey water filtre using an old found water tank (metal).

I’ve put in layers – starting with the bigger  hardcore at the bottom and finishing with sand, but when I just put a tester bowl through it came through dirtier than it went in – should I have washed all the hardcore etc??

any other suggestions for making a good filtre?

Thanks

BobbyKorona
    Participant

From Bob in Florida…what are you trying to do …get read of gray water or reuse it if you are not restricted by code ….talk to me…. will be working on the same thing this year …. fist will try a solar still to process 10 gallons a day to pure water ….32175w@gmail.com…. bob

Dustoffer
    Participant

Yes, it would be best to wash all the rocks, gravels, and sand first.   Then it is gray water.  It has microbes and chemicals that sand will not remove in it.  For the rest of the way to drinking water it has to go through filters down to 1 micron and activated charcoal.  Then to a UV sterilization light, and pumped on to the pressure tank.

BobbyKorona
    Participant

Reply from Bob….so you want to drink your processed “Gray water”…… if you live in the USA ….I don’t think you can do it……code or health will not pass it…..the chances for contamination entering your system ….airborne mist , leaks , cannot be eliminated ….there are ceramic , silver/ copper , and heat sterilization ……California has the strictest gray water regulation ….Google them….in the end if  you are set on drinking it …please have it tested……..my system will take it to .5mu run it into  a solar still , with a charcoal bed , the UV is in the sun light  plus some elevated temperature , store it in food grade fiberglass tanks , and have a small recirculator pump threw a silver exchange , then

test it….good luck …. Bob ..  32175w@gmail.com .. Bunnell ,  Florida

beast
    Participant

run your filtered water into a large tank and set lass on a slope over top, set the lowest edge of the glass into or over an eaves trough, as the sun shines thru the glass the water evaporates, leavin all contaminates behind, it will condensate on the under side of the glass and run down into the trough, there it can be collected and will be safe for drinkin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.