MEDIA WORKERS AND TV RESEARCHERS - Please seek permission before posting on this site or approaching individuals found here by phone or email - write to the Editor - mail to nick@off-grid.net

Home Forums General Discussion Greetings from Southern Indiana

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  GardensWaterwheels 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Trapper1
    Participant

My name is Josh, folks around here just call me the trapper. They call me that because its part of what I do to make a living. I trap fur in winter, and nuisance critters year round. I never did fit in with modern society, my mom and grandma said Im an old soul, I have always yearned for the old ways, I liked the show, the Waltons, to me they had the perfect life. Im 38 years old, I worked hard, and prayed to God earnestly, and by the time I was 32 I had bought and paid for 50 acres, an old house, and 2 old barns here in South West Indiana. I worked and earned enough for a third of the place, my mother in Law loaned us the rest. When she passed away from cancer we learned from her will that our debt was to be forgiven in the event of her death, she and the Good Lord blessed us, in spite of the grief of her loss. Our house is old, and in need of many repairs, and serious remodeling, but it is serviceable, dry, and warm. The barns are old and sagging, but serve the purpose they were meant for. We have 40 acres of pasture, 4 acres in building areas, garden, and other infrastructure, and 6 acres of woods and brush. We are tied to the grid, unfortunately, we would like to free ourselves from that. Our rural electric co-op is so expensive, and unrreliable to boot. We do not have many options, not that I have not used my impressive imagination. We have a spring, but two things defeat its use, one, it just happens to be at the lowest point, literaly, on my property, so much for head, and two, according to the records of the previous owner, and his father, the previous owner was born on this farm in 1918, his dad bought the place in 1910, so a good record, our spring used to flow at over at between 700 to 900 gallons per minute, depending on the season, starting in the 1990s the area started to get lots of new residents, houses, and wells, the water table has dropped, now the spring barely does half, maybe less than that half the year, and then trickles the rest of the time, so hydro is out. Wind power in this part of the state is unreliable, as our winds are seasonal, erractic and unpredictable. We are left with solar, which happens to be the most technical, and expensive. But there are a growing number of companies dealing with it, new technologies, and being on the grid we can start with a system that you can add panels to over time, so we do not have to toataly be powered all at once. But we have so much money going out, and so little coming in, things get put on a list, and prioritized.

Right now we are building our farm. We have been blessed to become partenered with a local grown, all natural food distributor out of Evansville IN., called Stonewall Farms. We supply them with eggs, pastured chicken, turkeys, and we finish their hogs. We are building a State Inspected poultry processing shed, complete with a walk in cooler. So all funds are directed there for now, which will have to include a generator, because of our unreliable electricity. We are a no debt family, my wife two boys and I, so things move slower. My farm is paid for, as I mentioned, except for the annual rent to our communist government. In a communist society you never have private land ownership. Ownership is when something can not be taken from you while you live. Well here in the U.S.A. if you fail to pay rent, they take it, if they want to pput in a road, airport or whatever, they take it. Communist.

Enough of that, a sensitive topic to me. Stonewall Farms has been a God send, it provides a steady income, a nice profit, and on top of that we custom raise cattle for a small feedlot. We graze their brood cows, and background calves. We are a small farm, just 50 acres, but between the two enterprises we are able to pull in mid $20 thousand dollar a year range, and with my trapping anohter 4 or 5 thousand more. According to the Federal standards we are below the poverty line, but we dont care. We are happy, and free. We are way happier, than the debt ridden, middle class crowd, we have no debt, and our schedueals are flexible, and the family spends lots of time together. We have two milk cows that we alternate, we make our own butter, yogurt, and cottage cheese. We raise our own veggies. We have not been able to raise fruit though, the deer and meat goats conspire against that, by eaatting and beating to death every fruit tree I plant. Next spring I plan to fence a half acre, with a 6 foot fence. 51 inches of woven wire, followed by alternating hot ground Hi-Tensile wires up to 72 inches, then maybe I can grow my peaches, apples, pears, plums, and cherries.We also have our own eggs, poultry, pork, beef, lamb, goat, and venison. We raise catfish in a pond, hunt rabbits, squirrel, and muskrat. So we are happy, healthy, and well fed, what more could a man ask for, a little land, freedom, a little money, and a full belly, praise God.

WrethaOffGrid
    Keymaster

Sounds like y’all have it going on Trapper1, please keep us updated as to what is going on with you :)

Wretha

GardensWaterwheels
    Participant

You have a stream that you can dam? If you dam a stream (it should be a permanent stream) and have it so that water flows off something onto the top end of a water wheel hooked to a alternator or special kind of alternator (the latter is more efficient), hooked up to some batterys ( i have seen rows of car batteries being used for this) you can generate a sufficient amount of electricity for your home,, perhaps even all requirements.. the weight of water does not diminish,, you can set up more than one water wheel, having them in sequence somehow :D… If you are lucky even, you can get paid for your excess power, and have them run a line to your batterys, taking what you dont use.. On top of that, if you have the land, you could create a large food forest, implementing the method called permaculture, and your result will be the ability to have a large yeild on a constant basis  for low maintenance, it becomes a wild forest of food once established, and thrives on its own like it does in say , a rain forest, exept ,, different because it will be considerably magnificent due to the fact that it is all fruit and birds and nuts and veg and sacred herbs to cure things by making tea :D in a free world, you could include plants such as hemp, and money making crops such as cocai-i mean all the ingredients to make honey bush caramel tea and have a team there making that and a village apothicary/chineese medicine unit for ailments and tobacco purchase. ;)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.